The Ultimate Guide to Healthier High Street Pizzas

Who doesn’t love a good slice of pizza? It’s the perfect comfort food that satisfies our cravings and brings people together. But let’s face it, not all pizzas are created equal when it comes to healthiness. The good news is that you don’t have to give up pizza altogether to maintain a healthy lifestyle. By making more informed choices, you can enjoy your favorite food guilt-free.

The 80:20 Rule

If you’re trying to eat healthily, it’s all about balance. The 80:20 rule suggests that you should aim to eat well 80 percent of the time and allow yourself to indulge in your favorite treats for the remaining 20 percent. Life is too short to live without pizza, after all.

The Health Credentials of High Street Pizzas

When it comes to pizza, there’s a wide range of options available on the high street and in supermarkets. However, not all pizzas are created equal in terms of healthiness. While some may leave you feeling sluggish and guilty, others can be delicious and support your fitness goals.

The Connection Between Pizza and Health

Contrary to popular belief, pizza doesn’t have to be an unhealthy choice. Italians, who consume almost double the amount of pizza as Brits, have a lower obesity rate. The key lies in the quality and authenticity of the pizza. There’s a big difference between the high-quality pizzas enjoyed in Italy and the greasy, thick-crust American-style ones we often find elsewhere.

See also  Discover the Best Birthday Freebies in 2023!

The Best and Worst Choices

If you want to make more informed choices when it comes to pizza, Nutrifix, a healthy eating app, has got you covered. Their nutritionist, Ruth Tongue, recommends some of the best and worst options out there.

The Best Choices

  • Pomodori Capricciosi: This pizza has a wholewheat and quinoa dough base, making it rich in protein and fiber. Topped with tomatoes, artichokes, black olives, mixed mushrooms, and oregano, it is the lowest in saturated fat and contains a good amount of protein.

  • Zizzi’s Skinny Pizzas: Made on a wholemeal, white, and spelt base, these pizzas are served with an Italian naked slaw. They are all under 550 calories, with the King Prawn Diavola being the lowest in calories, added sugar, and salt.

  • Magic Pizza: Made from a natural pea protein base, this gluten-free pizza is a protein powerhouse with only 654 calories per pizza, which amounts to 82 calories per slice.

The Worst Choices

  • Calorie Bomb: With 1,543 calories, 37g saturated fat, and 4.6g salt per pizza, this option exceeds the recommended daily calorie and salt intake and goes over the saturated fat guidelines.

  • The Indulgence: This pizza comes in at a whopping 2,740 calories, 64g saturated fat, and 8.5g salt per pizza. It’s a treat that should be enjoyed only occasionally.

  • Salt Overload: With 3,200 calories, 62g saturated fat, and 19g of salt, this pizza should be off-limits, considering the recommended daily salt intake for adults is only 6g.

What Makes a Healthy Pizza?

According to Joel Burgess, the founder and CEO of Nutrifix, a healthy pizza should have lots of veggie toppings like tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, and artichokes. Opting for a thin Italian-style base is a safe bet, but you can also find higher fiber or protein bases made from quinoa, spelt, or pea protein. Avoid stuffed crusts and meat toppings, as they can add unnecessary calories and saturated fat to your pizza.

See also  Jet's Pizza: A Pizza Experience Like No Other

Making Informed Choices

By revealing the nutritional differences in commonly consumed pizzas, Nutrifix aims to empower people to make educated choices. It’s important to know what’s in your food so that you can choose wisely. Some high street pizzas contain shocking amounts of salt and could easily exceed your recommended daily intake. On the flip side, there are surprisingly smart options that can make your regular pizza nights a guilt-free pleasure.

So, next time you’re craving pizza, remember that you can still enjoy it while making healthier choices. Visit Hook’d Up Bar and Grill to discover delicious and nutritious pizza options that will satisfy your cravings without compromising your health.