The Perfect Complement to a Classic Smashburger
This delectable sauce is the key to achieving that thin, crispy edge and juicy interior that characterizes a mouthwatering smashburger. Inspired by the popular Shake Shack burger sauce, our homemade version is creamy, tangy, and oh-so easy to make. In less than ten minutes, you can take your burger experience to a whole new level.
What’s Inside the Sauce?
While the exact recipe for Shake Shack’s famous shack sauce remains a mystery, Bon Appetit has revealed a rough template. Their concoction includes ½ cup of Hellman’s mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard, ¾ teaspoon of Heinz ketchup, ¼ teaspoon of kosher dill pickling brine, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. We’ve taken this base recipe and tailored it to our taste preferences. For instance, we’ve amped up the ketchup and pickle brine, generously seasoned with salt and pepper, and kept the other ingredients intact.
Why You’ll Fall in Love with This Recipe
Our homemade smash burger sauce stays true to the simplicity of Shake Shack’s original creation, but with the added bonus of endless customization. While researching this recipe, we discovered various versions online, incorporating extras like Worcestershire sauce or finely chopped pickles. However, we prefer to keep things simple. If you’d like to experiment, feel free to add Worcestershire sauce or pickles for a touch of texture. Since we already include pickles in our own smashburger recipe, we felt it unnecessary.
Key Ingredients for the Ultimate Sauce
- Mayonnaise: This creamy base perfectly complements the juicy, savory nature of the burger.
- Dijon Mustard: Adds a delightful hint of spice and tang.
- Ketchup: Imparts a light pink hue and contributes sweetness and umami.
- Dill Pickle Brine: The brine from dill pickles brings a salty and sour contrast to the creamy mayonnaise. If you’re out of pickle brine, lemon juice or apple cider vinegar will do the trick.
- Cayenne Pepper: Just a pinch provides a subtle kick. Feel free to add more if you prefer a spicier sauce!
How to Make Your Own Smash Burger Sauce
Creating your own smash burger sauce couldn’t be easier.
Step 1: In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, dill pickle brine, and cayenne pepper.
Step 2: Mix everything together, and season with salt and pepper. Depending on your preferences and the products you use, you can adjust the sweetness, spiciness, or saltiness to your liking. Don’t be afraid to personalize it!
Get Creative with Variations
Don’t hesitate to tailor this sauce to suit your mood. Here are a few ideas:
- For more umami: Incorporate ½ teaspoon of fish sauce or 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce before adding salt and pepper. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- For a garlicky twist: Add 1 small clove of grated garlic.
- For an oniony twist: Include 1 tablespoon of finely minced white onion or shallot.
- For a smoky twist: Substitute the cayenne pepper with ¼ teaspoon of chipotle chile powder.
Storage and Make-Ahead Tips
You can store your homemade smash burger sauce in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Prepare it in advance and allow it to come to room temperature before serving for maximum flavor.