Review of Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Diet Dry Dog Food
Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Diet receives an impressive rating of 4.5 stars from the Advisor.
The Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Diet product line consists of 7 dry dog foods:
- Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Adult Salmon and Sweet Potato
- Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Large Breed Adult Salmon and Sweet Potato
- Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Small Breed Adult Salmon and Sweet Potato
- Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Puppy Salmon and Sweet Potato
- Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Lamb and Pea
- Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Senior
- Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Duck and Green Pea
Each recipe includes its AAFCO nutrient profile for Growth (puppy), Maintenance (adult), All Life Stages, Supplemental, or Unspecified.
Recipe and Label Analysis
We will delve into the detailed recipe and nutrient analysis using Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Adult Salmon and Sweet Potato as a representative.
The label and nutrient data provided are calculated using a dry matter basis.
The primary ingredient in this dog food is salmon. Although salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids, raw salmon contains significant moisture. After cooking, most of the moisture is lost, reducing the meat content considerably.
The second ingredient is salmon meal, which is a concentrated source of protein containing almost 300% more protein than fresh fish.
The third ingredient is dried sweet potato, dehydrated from the by-products of potato processing. Dried sweet potato contributes to the overall protein content of the recipe.
Dried peas and lentils, listed as the fourth and fifth ingredients, respectively, are good sources of carbohydrates and dietary fiber. However, they also contribute to the total protein content of the dog food.
Next, we have pea starch, a gluten-free carbohydrate extract likely used as a binding agent for the kibble. It provides energy but offers limited nutritional value.
Flaxseed follows as the next ingredient. It is a plant-based source of omega-3 fatty acids and soluble fiber.
However, it’s important to note that flaxseed also contributes to the protein content of this dog food.
The eighth ingredient is canola oil, which can be controversial due to its potential to be derived from genetically modified rapeseed. While canola oil is a source of essential omega-3 fatty acids, it is less biologically available to dogs compared to fish oil.
Beyond the eighth ingredient, the subsequent items (excluding nutritional supplements) are not likely to significantly impact the overall rating of this Simply Nourish product.
There are five notable exceptions worth mentioning:
- Pea fiber: A mixture of both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber with no other nutritional value.
- Chelated minerals: Minerals chemically attached to protein to enhance absorption.
- Sodium selenite: A controversial form of selenium, which is nutritionally inferior to selenium yeast.
- Probiotics: No mention of friendly bacteria applied to aid digestion.
- Taurine: Although not typically essential for canines, taurine is important for heart muscle function. Its presence in this recipe is beneficial, particularly for dogs on grain-free diets.
Based on the ingredients alone, Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Diet Dog Food is an above-average dry product.
The dry matter protein reading is 29%, the fat level is 14%, and estimated carbohydrates make up about 49% of the product.
Across the brand, the average protein content is 30%, the average fat level is 14%, suggesting an average carbohydrate content of 49% for the entire product line.
Additionally, the fat-to-protein ratio is approximately 47%.
This implies that the Simply Nourish product line contains above-average protein, below-average fat, and near-average carbs compared to other dry dog foods.
Even when taking into account the protein-boosting effects of dried potatoes, peas, lentils, and flaxseed, this kibble appears to contain a notable amount of meat.
Our Rating of Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Dog Food
Simply Nourish Limited Ingredient Diet is a grain-free dry dog food that uses a notable amount of named meat meals as its primary source of animal protein, earning the brand an impressive rating of 4.5 stars.
Simply Nourish Dog Food Recall History
The following is a list of all dog food recalls related to Simply Nourish since 2009:
- Simply Nourish Dog Food Recall (8/15/2021)
- PetSmart Announces Recall of Certain Lots of Simply Nourish Dog Treats (10/8/2014)
You can view a complete list of all dog food recalls since 2009 here.
Get Free Recall Alerts
Stay informed by subscribing to The Advisor’s recall notification list and receive free dog food recall alerts directly to your email.
More Simply Nourish Brand Reviews
On this website, you can find additional Simply Nourish dog food reviews, including:
- Simply Nourish Essentials Dog Food Review (Canned)
- Simply Nourish Grain Free Dog Food Review (Cups)
- Simply Nourish Grain Free Dog Food Review (Dry)
- Simply Nourish Original Dog Food Review (Dry)
- Simply Nourish Shreds Dog Food Review (Canned)
- Simply Nourish Source Dog Food Review (Dry)
A Final Word
The Dog Food Advisor prepares its reviews without any influence from monetary incentives, gifts, samples, or other forms of compensation.
While we may receive a referral fee when readers click through to online retailers or sellers of perishable pet food, we remain independent to provide you with objective information.
For more information, please visit our Disclaimer and Disclosure page.
Last Update: 02/04/2022