Craving a taste of nostalgia? Look no further than this delightful seafood dish from the 70s. Known as seafood delight, this creamy baked imitation crab recipe is the perfect crowd-pleaser. Whether you enjoy it as a crab dip with crackers or spread it on English muffins, it’s guaranteed to be a hit. Looking for a Chinese twist? Try the seafood delight buffet dish, stir-fried to perfection with veggies. And if you’re feeling adventurous, explore the Chinese seafood delight recipe, featuring baked crab meat, cheese, veggies, and even rice.
What is Seafood Delight made of?
Wondering what makes seafood delight so special? Here’s a breakdown of the key ingredients:
- 8 ounces of Louis Kemp imitation crab (also known as “crab delights” or surimi), approximately 227 grams or 1.5 cups
- ¾ cup of mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of sliced scallion greens
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 ounce of shredded mozzarella cheese (28g)
For this delectable crab delight recipe, you’ll need four small oven-safe ramekins. Feel free to experiment with lobster, chopped shrimp, or scallops as alternative options. To elevate the Chinese buffet crab casserole experience, use larger ramekins and add chopped and steamed broccoli, carrots, onions, and snow peas.
Seafood Delight Recipe
Now that you have gathered the ingredients, it’s time to dive into the step-by-step process of creating this easy seafood delight recipe:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200C). Break or chop the crab chunks into smaller pieces. Thinly slice the scallions.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the crabmeat, mayo, lemon juice, scallion greens, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the four ramekins.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese on top of each ramekin.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, placing the ramekins on an oven rack that is ⅓ down from the top. Serve with sliced scallions, crackers, or crostini. Enjoy!
Hot Tips! Save yourself some cooking oil spray as mayo already contains a good amount of oil. This dip can be served warm or chilled, reminding you of the delicious seafood salad fillings you find in sub shops.
Is Seafood Delight Healthy?
Now, let’s address the elephant in the room: nutrition. The healthiness of seafood delight varies depending on the chosen recipe and ingredients. Traditional versions often include mayo or cream cheese, making them high in fat. In the 80s, these high-fat foods fell out of favor due to nutrition concerns. However, times have changed, and dietary fats are now recognized as an essential part of a balanced diet.
Regarding calories, our seafood delight recipe offers approximately 348 calories per serving (¼ of the recipe). Meanwhile, the Chinese seafood buffet version contains around 425 calories. Keep in mind that serving sizes may vary, impacting the overall calorie count.
If you’re keeping an eye on your carb intake, you’ll be glad to hear that this seafood delight dip is low carb and keto-friendly, with only 11.6 grams of carbs per serving. In contrast, Chinese seafood delight typically contains around 10 grams of carbohydrates per serving. To further reduce carbs, consider serving your seafood delight with cucumber slices, mini bell peppers, or celery sticks instead of crackers or bread.
Sodium can be a concern when it comes to seafood delight. Our recipe contains approximately 561mg of sodium per serving if you don’t add extra salt. In comparison, a serving of Chinese buffet seafood casserole can contain around 1400 milligrams of sodium. Given that the recommended daily intake limit for sodium is around 2300 milligrams, it’s vital to be mindful of the ingredients you use. Pay attention to the sodium content in seafood sauce and soy sauce, if included in your dish.
Seafood Delight White Sauce Recipe
Craving a stir-fried seafood delight dish similar to what you’d find in Chinese restaurants? One popular option is to serve seafood delight with a white sauce. Here’s a simple recipe to make your own:
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of milk
- ½ cup of chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the flour and whisk until smooth.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add the milk and chicken broth, whisking constantly.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat and drizzle the white sauce over your seafood delight dish.
This creamy and flavorful white sauce pairs perfectly with a stir-fried seafood delight dish. Feel free to add garlic, ginger, or other seasonings to customize it to your liking.
Other Chinese Restaurant Recipes
If you’re a fan of Chinese food takeout, why not try your hand at whipping up some Chinese restaurant recipes at home? Here are a few mouthwatering ideas to get you started:
- Frozen Mini Egg Rolls in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Orange Chicken
- Air Fryer Potstickers
- Trader Joe’s Beef and Broccoli
For more exciting recipes and to stay up-to-date, subscribe to our community. You can also follow us on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube!