A Hearty and Delicious Meal with Chinese Flavors
If you’re in the mood for a satisfying and flavorful dinner that requires minimal effort, our unique twist on “meat and potatoes” is perfect for you. This recipe combines braised ground pork, potatoes, and Chinese flavors to create a delicious and comforting meal. Whether you prefer it with rice or noodles, this dish will surely satisfy your cravings.
Another Winning Recipe with Ground Pork
Recipes that include ground pork or mince are always popular because they’re quick and easy to prepare. This recipe takes ground pork to a new level by adding hearty potatoes to the mix. The result is a dish that is both comforting and satisfying.
To make this recipe a bit healthier, you can include vegetables like peas, carrots, bell peppers, or broccoli. I used red bell peppers, which added a pleasant sweetness to the dish. Just make sure to avoid leafy greens, as they tend to turn the dish messy and don’t hold up well to the salty sauce. If you want to add greens, serve them on the side with a dish like our Garlic Baby Bok Choy or Easy Yu Choy.
A Kid-Friendly Recipe
This braised ground pork and potato dish is not only delicious but also kid-friendly. Kids will love eating it over rice with a spoon, and the gravy soaking into the rice is hard to resist. We’ve even included a note in the recipe that you can use either spicy bean paste or plain bean paste, depending on your child’s spice tolerance.
It’s also a great option for an easy lunch. Just scoop some rice and a ladleful of the pork mixture into a thermos, and you’ll have a piping hot lunch ready to go.
Braised Ground Pork & Potato Recipe Instructions
Here’s how to make this delicious dish:
- Rinse the dried shiitake mushrooms and soak them in hot water for at least 2 hours (or overnight). Squeeze out the liquid and reserve it for later use. Dice the mushrooms into ½-inch pieces.
- Use store-bought ground meat or follow our hand-chopped meat technique for the best texture. In a medium bowl, combine the meat with the marinade ingredients: water, Shaoxing wine, dark soy sauce, and white pepper. Mix well and set aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Peel and dice the potatoes. If you’re not cooking them right away, soak them in cold water to prevent browning.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the minced ginger and mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ground pork and break up any large chunks with a spatula. Cook until the meat is opaque and lightly browned. Stir in the Shaoxing wine to deglaze the wok or pan.
- Add the potato cubes and the sauces (oyster sauce, bean sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce), along with the white pepper, five spice powder, and water. Use the mushroom soaking water, adding additional fresh water to make 1½ cups in total.
- Stir well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover, reduce the heat to medium, and simmer for 5 minutes until the potatoes are almost cooked through.
- Stir in the garlic, onion, and your choice of vegetables. Cover and cook for 1-2 minutes until the potatoes and vegetables are tender. Add more water if needed to prevent the sauce from drying out.
- Stir in the cornstarch slurry and simmer until the sauce thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon. Season with salt to taste and add chopped scallions for extra flavor.
- Serve the braised ground pork and potatoes with steamed rice and enjoy!
Visit Hook’d Up Bar and Grill to discover more delicious recipes like this one.