Are you a fan of tomato sauce but worried about its compatibility with a keto diet? Look no further! We have the perfect recipe for a keto-friendly spaghetti sauce that is quick, easy, and bursting with flavor. Whether you want to elevate your pasta dishes or enhance your favorite snacks, this homemade tomato sauce will not disappoint.
Why is this Spaghetti Sauce the Best?
Our keto spaghetti sauce is the ultimate choice for those seeking a fresh, sugar-free, and low-carb taste experience. Unlike store-bought alternatives, this homemade marinara sauce can be prepared in just 30-45 minutes, making it an ideal option for a quick weeknight dinner.
This recipe starts with canned tomatoes, which can be whole, diced, or crushed. To add depth and flavor, we recommend using garlic powder, onion powder, basil, parsley, and oregano. These spices are not only convenient but also ensure that your sauce is bursting with aromatic goodness.
Are Tomatoes Keto-Friendly?
You might be wondering whether tomatoes are suitable for a keto diet since they are technically a fruit. Fortunately, tomatoes are low in carbs and high in water content, making them an excellent addition to your list of acceptable foods. Here’s a breakdown of the net carbs in various tomato sizes:
- Large whole tomato: 5 net carbs
- Medium whole tomato: 3.3 net carbs
- Small whole tomato: 2.5 net carbs
- Small varieties (cherry and grape): 4-5 net carbs per 1 cup
However, it’s essential to keep in mind that sundried tomatoes have higher carb content due to the drying process. A 1/2 cup of sundried tomatoes contains 12 net carbs, making them less suitable for a low-carb diet.
Carbs in Tomato Sauce
Tomato sauce itself is relatively low in carbs. Once the tomatoes are cooked down into a canned or jarred variety, they contain approximately 4.7 net carbs per 1/2 cup, as long as no sugar is added. This makes tomato sauce a perfect addition to a low carb or keto diet.
While jarred sauces may seem like a convenient choice, they often contain added sugar, throwing them out of the low-carb category. When examining store-bought tomato sauce labels, you’ll find an average of 8-12 grams of sugar per 1/2 cup, which amounts to approximately 10 carbs.
What to Pair with Low Carb Tomato Sauce?
The versatility of low carb spaghetti sauce allows for countless delicious combinations. Here are a few suggestions to inspire your culinary adventures:
- Low Carb Pasta
- Keto Pizza
- Keto Lasagna
- Fried Zucchini with Almond Flour
- Low Carb Fried Eggplant
- Keto Chicken Tenders
- Low Carb Chicken Parmesan
- Keto Eggplant Parmesan
The Perfect Ingredients for Keto Spaghetti Sauce
To create the ultimate keto spaghetti sauce, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Tomatoes (canned or fresh)
- Parsley (fresh or dried)
- Basil (fresh or dried)
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
Choosing the Right Tomatoes
When making your keto marinara sauce, using canned tomatoes is often the best choice. You can opt for whole, chopped, or crushed varieties. If you’re looking for a premium option, San Marzano tomatoes are widely regarded as the best choice, though any brand will work. Keep in mind that plum tomatoes are not the ideal choice due to their dry texture.
Alternatively, you can use ripe, fresh tomatoes for a homemade touch. However, they will need to be blanched to remove the skins before being chopped and cooked down to your desired consistency.
Exploring Different Variations
One of the joys of making homemade tomato sauce is the ability to experiment with different flavors and ingredients. Here are some variations to consider:
- Meat: Ground beef, ground pork, or ground sausage
- Veggies: Carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, bell peppers (red, orange, yellow, green)
- Red Pepper: For a spicy twist
- Type of Tomato: Whole tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, fresh tomatoes, or canned tomatoes
- Cheese: Parmesan or Romano
- Cream: A touch of heavy cream for creamier sauce
- Texture: Chunky or smooth, depending on the tomato texture
- Butter Sauce: Adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of butter
Other Low Carb Sauce Options
If you’re not in the mood for a tomato-based sauce, here are a few alternative low-carb options to try:
- Alfredo Sauce: A creamy white sauce
- Oil & Garlic Sauce: Featuring good olive oil and fresh chopped garlic
- Pesto Sauce: A delightful blend of fresh basil and cheese
- Arrabiata Sauce: A spicy, sugar-free tomato sauce
- Vodka Sauce: Combining vodka with cream, butter, tomatoes, and onions
- Bolognese/Meat Sauce: A rich sauce mixed with onions and meat
To make your keto spaghetti sauce, be sure to have the following tools:
- Ladle or spoon for stirring
- Measuring spoons
The Step-by-Step Guide to Making Keto Spaghetti Sauce
Making your own keto spaghetti sauce is incredibly simple. Just follow these steps:
- Open the cans of crushed tomatoes into a saucepan.
- Add the spices (parsley, basil, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder) and stir well.
- Heat the sauce on low-medium heat, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking or burning.
- Cook the sauce for 30 minutes, or until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Remove from heat, and your homemade low-carb tomato sauce is ready to enjoy!
Best Tips for a Perfect Sauce
Here are some pro tips to ensure your low carb tomato sauce turns out spectacular:
- If you prefer a smooth sauce, use crushed tomatoes. If you prefer a chunky sauce, opt for chopped tomatoes.
- Fresh tomatoes can also be used, but remember to blanch them first to remove the skins.
- If you desire a smoother texture and are using fresh tomatoes, you can use an immersion blender or a traditional blender to achieve the desired consistency.
- Feel free to experiment with different spices to find your favorite flavor combination.
- When using fresh garlic, a garlic press is a convenient tool to release its flavor effortlessly.
Suitable for Various Diets
Not only is our low carb marinara sauce keto-friendly, but it also aligns with other dietary preferences. Here are some diets for which this recipe is suitable:
- Vegan: Made only from spices and tomatoes.
- Vegetarian: No meat products included, only tomatoes and spices.
- Paleo: A delicious low carb marinara sauce suitable for many dishes.
- Gluten-free: Contains no gluten products.
- Dairy-free: This keto spaghetti sauce is free from dairy.
- Nut-free: Safe for individuals with nut allergies.
- Sugar-free: Contains no added sugar.
Storing and Reheating Tomato Sauce
In case you have leftovers, store your keto tomato sauce in an airtight plastic container or a glass jar with a lid. It will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to one week. Alternatively, you can freeze it for later use, up to six months.
To reheat, simply microwave it or warm it in a saucepan on the stove for a few minutes.
Get Creative with Low Carb Sauces
If you’re craving more low carb sauce options, we have you covered! Try our other delicious low carb sauce recipes, such as Keto Pizza Sauce, Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce, Tzatziki Sauce, and Creamy Keto Cheese Sauce. Your family and friends will love these keto-friendly, flavorful additions to any meal.
Now that you have the ultimate guide to keto-friendly tomato sauce, it’s time to get cooking! For more delicious recipes and inspiration, visit Hook’d Up Bar and Grill.