Are you on the hunt for a delectable keto-friendly dessert? Look no further! This exquisite chocolate keto pudding is not only rich and creamy but also incredibly satisfying. Once you’ve taken a single spoonful, you won’t be able to resist making it a regular addition to your post-meal routine. Prepare to indulge in the lusciousness of this sugar-free chocolate delicacy that is just as effortless to make as chia pudding or keto yogurt.
In childhood, chocolate pudding was an unbeatable treat. But who says it’s strictly for kids? With the addition of luscious dark chocolate, this dessert becomes a tantalizing pleasure for adults as well. On a keto diet, there’s no need to abandon your favorite foods when you have the option of relishing this equally delightful keto chocolate pudding. Let go of any reservations and give in to this guilty pleasure!
The chocolate variation of this recipe shares a secret ingredient with my vanilla sugar-free pudding, making it undeniably the best you’ve ever tried! However, it’s worth noting that this version is rich and thick. If you prefer a light and airy dessert, consider trying keto chocolate mousse instead.
Ingredients & Substitutions
When it comes to making the perfect keto chocolate pudding, selecting the right ingredients is key. This section guides you on how to choose the best components, explains their role in the recipe, and provides substitution options. For specific measurements, consult the recipe card below.
- Heavy Cream: This forms the base of the keto pudding. If you’re looking for a dairy-free substitute, full-fat coconut milk or coconut cream might be viable options, although I haven’t tested them personally. Avoid using thinner keto milk alternatives like almond milk, as they may not yield the desired consistency.
- Gelatin Powder: The secret ingredient in this sugar-free pudding is unflavored gelatin. It brings thickness and creates a smooth, creamy texture without the need for thickeners or cornstarch substitutes. I recommend using gelatin sourced from grass-fed cows for the best results. Keep in mind that different brands may require slight adjustments in the amount used.
- Besti Powdered Monk Fruit Allulose Blend: This powdered sweetener, derived from monk fruit, is my go-to choice as it provides a smooth texture. While I have experimented with powdered erythritol and other sugar substitutes in the past, they tend to have issues with dissolution and can result in a grainy pudding. Most other brands of monk fruit sweetener also contain erythritol, so it’s wise to avoid granulated sweeteners altogether.
- Cocoa Powder: Opt for high-quality unsweetened cocoa powder to achieve the best flavor.
- Sea Salt: Balances out the sweetness, enhancing the overall taste.
- Vanilla Extract: Elevates the rich chocolate flavor to new heights.
Unlike many other keto pudding recipes, this one does not require eggs to achieve the desired texture.
How To Prepare Keto Pudding
In this section, I will walk you through the step-by-step process of making keto chocolate pudding. Detailed instructions, including exact amounts and temperatures, can be found in the recipe card below.
Bloom the gelatin: Begin by pouring the heavy cream into a small bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the cream and whisk it immediately. Set the mixture aside to bloom. After a few minutes, it will thicken and appear clumpy, as depicted below. While the gelatin blooms, you can proceed with the other steps.
Heat the heavy cream, powdered Besti, cocoa powder, and sea salt: In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the ingredients mentioned above. Stir continuously until the mixture becomes smooth and starts to bubble. Be careful not to let it boil.
Add the vanilla and bloomed gelatin: Remove the saucepan from heat and stir in the vanilla extract. Next, incorporate the gelatin mixture and continue whisking until the texture becomes uniformly smooth.
Cool and cover: Transfer the keto pudding mixture to a glass container or mixing bowl. Allow it to cool slightly until it won’t melt any plastic wrap laid on top. Whisk the mixture again to remove any film that may have formed, then promptly place plastic wrap flush against the top surface of the pudding.
Refrigerate: Let the pudding chill in the refrigerator until it becomes firm. Give it a good stir and witness its transformation into a thick, smooth, and creamy delight.
Topping Ideas & Variations
While this sugar-free chocolate pudding recipe is exquisite on its own, it’s always fun to experiment with different toppings. Here are some suggestions to take your dessert experience to the next level:
- Berries: Keep it low-carb by adding a handful of fresh berries. Strawberries, raspberries, or blueberries pair exceptionally well with the keto pudding and heavy cream.
- Nuts: For an added crunch, sprinkle a handful of chopped pecans, almonds, or walnuts on top, or mix them directly into the pudding.
- Coconut: If you’re a fan of coconut, sprinkle a few shreds of shredded coconut on your sugar-free chocolate pudding. Prepare for a delightful tropical twist!
- Chocolate: Elevate your dessert by garnishing it with a few sugar-free chocolate curls. This not only enhances the chocolate flavor but also adds an aesthetically pleasing touch. (Pardon my imperfect chocolate curls below!)
- Sugar-Free Whipped Cream: A dollop of homemade sugar-free whipped cream adds a touch of elegance to your presentation. Refer to the image below for inspiration.
To ensure your keto pudding lasts as long as possible, follow these storage guidelines:
- Store: Place the pudding in an airtight container in the refrigerator, with plastic wrap directly on the surface, for up to one week.
- Freeze: If you have leftovers or wish to extend the pudding’s shelf life, freeze it in an airtight container for up to three months. Frozen chocolate pudding is a heavenly treat on a scorching day, almost resembling ice cream. For serving, either enjoy it straight from the freezer or thaw it overnight and whip it with a mixer before indulging.
More Sugar-Free Chocolate Recipes
If you’re a self-proclaimed sweet tooth, prepare to satiate your cravings! Explore these mouthwatering low-carb dessert recipes that feature the irresistible allure of chocolate: