Are you a ketchup enthusiast? Growing up, I would refuse to eat my meals unless there was a bottle of ketchup on the table. But ever since I decided to cut sugar from my diet, I’ve had to find an alternative. Enter homemade sugar-free ketchup – the perfect keto-friendly condiment that doesn’t sacrifice taste.
What Makes Ketchup Keto-Friendly?
Traditional ketchup is not suitable for a keto diet due to its high sugar content. A single tablespoon can contain more than 9 grams of sugar! Luckily, this easy homemade ketchup recipe changes the game. It looks and tastes like the real deal while containing zero grams of sugar per serving. It’s a win-win situation!
The Ingredients You’ll Need
To create this marvelous sugar-free ketchup, you’ll need just a few simple ingredients:
- Tomato paste: It provides concentrated tomato flavor without the need for fresh tomatoes.
- White vinegar: A combination of apple cider and white vinegar balances out the taste without overpowering the ketchup.
- Sweetener of choice: Opt for keto brown sugar or a powdered sugar substitute. The former adds an authentic flavor to the ketchup.
- Onion and garlic powder: These additions enhance the overall taste. Be sure to use powder and not salt to avoid excessive saltiness.
- Water: Use water to adjust the thickness of the ketchup to your liking.
The Process of Creating Sugar-Free Ketchup
Making your own keto ketchup is a breeze. Here’s what you need to do:
- Simmer: Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and heat the mixture over medium heat until it simmers. Once it reaches a simmer, reduce the heat to low and stir regularly for 10 minutes.
- Chill: Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the ketchup to cool completely. This will help it thicken.
Tips to Enhance Your Keto Ketchup
Here are some handy tips to elevate the flavor and texture of your homemade keto ketchup:
- Taste as you go: Adjust the consistency by adding more water if it’s too thick. Additionally, if you prefer sweeter ketchup, don’t hesitate to add extra sweetener.
- Avoid stevia: Stevia and stevia blends can impart a bitter taste, so it’s best to steer clear.
- Get creative with spices: Experiment with other spices or herbs such as oregano, cayenne pepper, or red pepper flakes to add some excitement to your ketchup.
Storing Your Low-Carb Ketchup
If you’re wondering about the best way to store your homemade ketchup, follow these guidelines:
- Refrigerator: Leftover ketchup should always be stored in the refrigerator. It lacks preservatives to keep it safe at room temperature but will maintain its quality for up to one month.
- Freezer: For longer storage, transfer the ketchup to a freezer-friendly container and store it for up to two months. Thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before use and give it a good mix.
Pairing Your Ketchup with Delicious Keto Meals
You can enjoy this sugar-free ketchup in all the same ways you would traditional ketchup. Dip your sweet potato fries or French fries into it, slather it on burgers, or use it with everyone’s favorite sausage balls. The possibilities are endless!
Explore More Sugar-Free Condiments
If you’re looking to expand your keto condiment collection, try these other sugar-free options:
- Honey mustard
- BBQ sauce
- Teriyaki sauce
Now that you know how to create a delectable keto-friendly ketchup, you can enjoy the tangy goodness without compromising your diet. Say goodbye to store-bought, sugar-laden options and embrace your homemade, guilt-free ketchup creation!
For more inspiration and recipes, check out Hook’d Up Bar and Grill.