Asparagus, a simple yet elegant vegetable, can delight your taste buds with its keto-friendly profile. This keto asparagus recipe is easy to prepare and offers a burst of flavorful goodness. The asparagus spears are cooked to perfection, tender yet crisp, and enhanced with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of tangy lemon juice.
A Journey of Flavor Rediscovery
Once upon a time, I had no interest in asparagus, having been scarred by a college experience involving canned asparagus. However, my perception changed when I took a leap of faith and tried a bite of fresh asparagus at a restaurant. It was a revelation! Crispy, crunchy, and absolutely delicious, it was nothing like what I had expected. Since then, dishes like this keto asparagus have become a regular feature in my culinary repertoire.
Fast forward to today, and I find myself genuinely loving asparagus. It has become my go-to low-carb and healthy side dish, particularly on those nights when I lack a meal plan. Keeping recipes like this one up my sleeve makes sticking to a keto diet so much easier.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tools That Make This Recipe a Breeze
To prepare this keto asparagus recipe, you’ll need a few essential tools:
- Air Fryer or Baking Sheet and Parchment Paper: Choose your preferred method for cooking the asparagus.
- Whisk: Used to combine the ingredients.
- Bowl: A basic bowl for mixing.
- Hand Grater or Food Processor with a Grating Disk: Makes grating Parmesan cheese a breeze.
Creative Variations for Your Low Carb Asparagus
Here are some exciting variations you can try to customize your low-carb asparagus:
- Dairy-Free Delight: Skip the Parmesan cheese if you’re dairy-free.
- Zesty Twist: Replace the lemon juice with lime juice, add a pinch of cayenne pepper, and top with toasted pine nuts.
- Bacon Lover’s Paradise: Elevate your keto asparagus by topping it with pancetta or bacon. Dinner bliss guaranteed!
- A Goat Cheese Twist: Swap out Parmesan cheese for creamy goat cheese.
- Butter vs. Oil: Experiment with melted butter instead of oil, using unsalted butter for better control over salt levels.
Preparing Your Low Carb Asparagus
First, preheat your oven or air fryer. Set the temperature to 400 degrees Fahrenheit for the air fryer or 420 degrees Fahrenheit for the oven.
Next, trim the woody ends of the asparagus spears.
Mix the oil and seasonings in a small bowl. Combine olive oil, garlic powder, salt, and pepper to create a flavorful coating for the asparagus.
Toss the vegetables in the oil mixture, ensuring each spear is evenly coated.
Cook the asparagus by arranging the spears in a single layer in the air fryer basket or on a parchment-lined baking sheet. The cooking time will vary depending on your desired level of doneness, ranging from 5 to 11 minutes in the air fryer and 6 to 13 minutes in the oven.
Transfer the cooked veggies to a serving platter. Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the asparagus and sprinkle it with Parmesan cheese. For an extra touch of decadence, consider melting the cheese first before transferring it to the platter and drizzling it with lemon juice.
More Keto Side Dishes to Savor
Expand your low-carb culinary repertoire with these tantalizing keto side dishes:
- Crispy Brussels Sprouts: Get ready for a crispy extravaganza with these keto Brussels sprouts that are unbelievably easy to make.
- Roasted Cauliflower: Prepare yourself for dinner bliss with this delectable keto roasted cauliflower dish.
- Buffalo Cauliflower Wings: If you’re a fan of bold flavors, these keto buffalo cauliflower wings will blow your taste buds away.
To discover more mouthwatering recipes, subscribe to my newsletter, where I share new gluten-free keto recipes each week.
Get Your Free Keto Quick Start Guide
Explore Other Low Carb Side Dishes
Expand your low-carb options with these appetizing side dishes:
- Fried Cabbage and Bacon: Delight in the flavors of this savory fried cabbage and bacon dish by Kasey Trenum.
- Mexican Slaw: Kalyn’s Kitchen brings you this flavorful low-carb Mexican slaw that will leave you wanting more.
Remember, this post was originally published in October 2019 and was updated in May 2021.
Finally, if you’re looking for a tantalizing dining experience, visit the Hook’d Up Bar and Grill.