Learn how to make Instant Pot Italian Sausage Soup, a flavorful and nutritious dish that the whole family will love. This easy one-pot recipe is gluten-free, packed with veggies, and has no potatoes or cream. It’s the perfect comfort food any time of the year!
Benefits of Making Italian Sausage Soup in the Instant Pot
- Healthy: This soup is loaded with veggies and provides essential vitamins, fiber, and high-quality protein.
- Easy: With this one-pot recipe, you won’t have to worry about cleaning up a ton of pots and pans. It’s simple and hassle-free.
- Special diets: Depending on the ingredients you use, this Instant Pot soup can be made gluten-free, keto, Paleo, Whole30, or even vegan.
- Delicious: This pressure cooker soup is bursting with flavor. It’s a nutritious and tasty meal that won’t disappoint.
To make Instant Pot Italian Sausage Soup, you’ll need:
- Fresh ground hot Italian sausage or ground mild Italian sausage (raw)
- Olive oil (or your favorite cooking oil)
- Chopped onion
- Minced garlic cloves
- Chopped carrots
- Chopped celery
- Low-sodium chicken broth
- Canned diced tomatoes
- Large dry lima beans
- Dried oregano
- Dried basil
- Bay leaf
- Swiss chard, red chard, or rainbow chard
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
Note: Make sure to use high-quality Italian sausage, as it adds a significant amount of flavor to the soup.
How to Make Instant Pot Italian Sausage Soup
- Soak the lima beans in warm water for 12-24 hours. Remove any loose skins and drain well.
- Remove the casings from the Italian sausage and chop the veggies.
- Heat the oil in the Instant Pot and add the sausage, carrots, onions, celery, and garlic. Cook for about 10 minutes, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.
- Add the chard stems, drained lima beans, oregano, basil, bay leaf, chicken broth, salt, and pepper to the pot.
- Put the lid on the Instant Pot and pressure cook for 25 minutes on high pressure.
- Allow the pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then carefully turn the vent to release the remaining pressure.
- Stir in the canned tomatoes and chard leaves, and let the soup sit for 5 minutes on the “warm” setting.
- Remove the bay leaf, ladle the soup into bowls, and sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Expert Tips from a Dietitian
This sausage soup recipe is a level 1 recipe, which may help support fat loss. It’s a low-calorie, high-volume meal packed with protein and non-starchy veggies. For a higher calorie meal, you can add a side of starch like bread or crackers.
You can store the soup in a covered container in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, use the stovetop or microwave. If the soup dries out, add a little extra broth. Alternatively, you can freeze the soup without the chard and add fresh chard when reheating.
Join the Hook’d Up Bar and Grill Community!
Subscribe to the Weekly Newsletter to stay up-to-date with our latest and greatest recipes! You can also follow us on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube!
All recipes on this website may or may not be appropriate for your specific needs. Consult with a registered dietitian or physician to determine the best dietary pattern for you. The nutrition information provided is an estimate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients used.
For more information on how our recipes can help you with your weight management goals, refer to our website. Let’s get cooking!