I have fond memories of asking my mom what she was preparing for dinner, only to be met with her playful response, “I don’t know.” Inspired by those nostalgic moments, I decided to create a dish called “I Don’t Know.” Now, when your children inquire about tonight’s meal, you can amaze them with a mouthwatering Instant Pot recipe featuring cheesy chicken, potatoes, and vegetables.
Instant Pot Cheesy Ranch Chicken and Potatoes, AKA “I Don’t Know”
This recipe is both simple and delectable, requiring only six basic ingredients. You’ll be captivated by the delightful combination of potatoes, southwest vegetables, chicken, sour cream, and dry ranch dressing mix. Speaking of which, when it comes to the ranch dressing mix, my personal favorite is Hidden Valley. Their exceptional blend adds an explosion of flavor to various dishes. To fully experience the versatility of this mix, I suggest purchasing a large container from Costco. With it, you can experiment with other delightful recipes such as Instant Pot Chicken Ranch Mac & Cheese, Instant Pot 4-Ingredient Pot Roast And Brown Gravy, and Instant Pot Million Dollar Chicken.
For the southwest vegetables, I recommend using the Bird’s Eye Brand. This delightful blend features a medley of sweet corn, black beans, chilies, peppers, and onions. You can find it in the frozen food aisle of your local grocery store.
As for the chicken, I took advantage of the succulent meat from a Costco rotisserie chicken. These heavenly creations, priced at just $4.99, are an absolute steal! With one rotisserie chicken, you can prepare at least two mouthwatering meals.
Regarding the potatoes, I used perfectly peeled Russet potatoes. However, if you have red or Yukon gold potatoes, feel free to leave the skins intact for added texture and nutrients.
To complete the dish, I topped it with melty cheddar cheese. It’s my go-to choice due to its versatility, but you can certainly experiment with other cheeses like pepper jack or colby.
Go ahead and give this delightful dish a try this week, but don’t forget to playfully tell your kids, “I don’t know what’s for dinner.” Watch as confusion turns into excitement when they discover the cheesy goodness awaiting them.
- Pour 1 ½ cups of water into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Place the potatoes into a steamer basket, followed by the chicken and frozen vegetables.
- Lower the steamer basket into the Instant Pot and ensure it is secure. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Once the cooking time is up, carefully move the valve to venting for a quick release.
- Remove the steamer basket from the pot and set it aside. Discard the water from the Instant Pot and dry it out.
- Empty the contents of the steamer basket back into the Instant Pot.
- Add the ranch dressing mix and sour cream to the pot, gently stirring to combine.
- Transfer the mixture into a 9×9 inch pan.
- Sprinkle the surface with cheese, then broil it in your oven for 2-3 minutes until the cheese is melty and bubbly. Alternatively, you can sprinkle the cheese directly into the Instant Pot and use an air fryer lid to melt the cheese.
- Serve and savor every delicious bite!
- Enhance your meal by serving it with a refreshing green salad or another vegetable of your choice.
- This recipe is specifically designed for a 6-quart Instant Pot, but it can also be prepared in an 8-quart pot.
- Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- For a seamless cooking experience, I highly recommend using a silicone steamer basket, a reliable vegetable peeler, a sturdy cutting board, and quality knives.
More Instant Pot Chicken and Potato Recipes…
Did you know you can easily filter the recipes on my website? Whether you’re searching by meat type, cooking method (IP or Crockpot), dietary preferences (low carb, gluten-free, etc.), or any other specific requirement, my website has you covered. Use the handy filter feature to find precisely what you’re looking for.
Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.