A Healthier, Tastier Version of Your Childhood Classic
This recipe for Shake and Bake Pork Chops is a delightful twist on the beloved childhood dish. Tender pork chops are coated in a delectable breadcrumb mixture and baked to perfection, resulting in a golden brown and irresistibly delicious delight.
Embracing a Fear of Frying
Confession time: I suffer from F.O.F – Fear of Frying. Deep-frying recipes have always intimidated me. The precise oil temperature, concerns about undercooked meat, and excessive greasiness make me nervous. My solution? Baking! It’s a safe, healthier, and equally delicious alternative.
That’s why this homemade Shake and Bake recipe is perfect.
The Unforgettable Shake N Bake
Shake N Bake, created by Kraft Foods in 1965, revolutionized the way we prepare chicken and pork. With catchy slogans like “Shake N Bake: It’s better than frying” and “Why fry? Shake N Bake,” it quickly became known as a healthier, less-greasy option. This flavored, bread crumb-style coating is conveniently packaged with a handy bag for easy meat coverage.
I vividly recall enjoying Shake and Bake as a child, and I must say, this homemade version is just as scrumptious!
To make this delightful dish, simply pour the breadcrumb mixture into a Ziploc bag, add your pork chops (or chicken pieces), and shake it up until coated. Then, bake until the coating turns beautifully golden and crispy. It’s a quick and satisfying weeknight dinner that’s guaranteed to please the whole family.
🛒 Gather Your Ingredients
- Plain Bread Crumbs
- Canola Oil (or any neutral oil)
- Spices: Seasoning salt, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, sugar, dried oregano, parsley, and black pepper.
📋 Shake and Bake Directions
You can make this recipe with pork, boneless chicken, or bone-in chicken.
How to Bake Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Cook the pork chops for approximately 25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 145 degrees. Boneless pork chops work best for this recipe, although bone-in chops are also an option.
- If you’re cooking other items alongside your pork chops, adjust the temperature accordingly:
- 400 degrees for 30 minutes.
- 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
- 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
How to Air Fry Shake and Bake Pork Chops
- For a delightful twist, try making air fryer Shake and Bake pork chops.
- Set your air fryer to 400 degrees and cook for 6-8 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Shake and Bake Chicken Legs (Bone-in Chicken)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the chicken legs for 35-40 minutes, or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
Shake and Bake Chicken Breasts (Boneless)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook the chicken breasts for 15-20 minutes, or until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
🕕 Storing and Reheating
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. To reheat, simply bake in a 350-degree oven for 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, pop them in an air fryer basket and cook at 350 degrees for 4-5 minutes.
🍽 Pairing Suggestions
- Glazed Carrots
- Vinegar Coleslaw
- Mashed Potatoes with Sour Cream
- Arugula Salad
- Instant Pot Black Eyed Peas
- Mexican Street Corn Salad with Pearl Couscous
- Hook’d Up Bar and Grill for more delightful side dishes for pork chops.
🍷 Wine Pairings
- Pinot Noir pairs beautifully with pork. Its light-bodied nature complements the flavors perfectly, and its bright acidity balances the slight fattiness of the pork.
- For more wine pairing suggestions, check out the article on the best wine pairings for pork chops.
🥓 More Pork Recipes
- Pork Chops with Cherry Sauce
- Slow Cooker Pork Chops
- Pork Piccata (30 Minute Easy Recipe)
- Prosciutto Wrapped Pork Tenderloin
- Instant Pot Cuban Mojo Pork
- Instant Pot Carnitas
- and many more! Explore our collection of 35+ Easy Boneless Pork Chop Recipes.
Did you try this homemade Shake n Bake recipe?
If you loved these Shake n Bake Pork Chops, show your support by leaving a star review! Don’t forget to snap a picture of your delightful dish and share it on Instagram using the hashtag #platingsandpairings. Tag me @platingsandpairings so I can admire your culinary creation.
For more tantalizing recipes, follow me on Instagram, TikTok, Pinterest, and Facebook.
This recipe was originally published in 2015 and was updated in 2023, but the recipe itself remains unchanged. Enjoy!