Are you tired of using pork gravy packets that lack the rich, authentic flavor you desire? Look no further! Creating homemade pork gravy is quick, easy, and incredibly rewarding. In just 15 minutes, you can enhance your pork roasts, pork steaks, or any pork dinner with a decadent sauce that will leave your taste buds longing for more. Let’s dive into this easy recipe that will take your pork dishes to the next level.
A Simple Homemade Pork Gravy Recipe
Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a beginner in the kitchen, this pork gravy recipe is foolproof. The secret lies in utilizing the pork fat drippings from your main course, which infuses the gravy with a deep, savory flavor that pre-packaged alternatives cannot match. Plus, it only requires 15 minutes of your time, allowing you to let your roast rest before serving it with the perfect accompaniment.
Ingredients for Pork Gravy
To make this delightful gravy, you only need a few simple ingredients. If you don’t have pork drippings available, fret not! Check out my chicken gravy recipe, which provides instructions on making delicious gravy without drippings.
- ¼ cup of pork drippings from a pork roast (*see note)
- 1 cup of chicken broth (*see note)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup of cool water
- 3 tablespoons of cornstarch
For specific measurements and additional tips, refer to the free printable recipe card below.
Step-by-Step Guide to Homemade Pork Gravy
With just five minutes of prep and ten minutes on the stovetop, you’ll have a mouthwatering gravy ready in no time. Grab a saucepan, a wooden spoon, and a whisk, and let’s get started!
- Scrape the fond: Collect all the fond (brown bits) from the bottom of the roasting pan and pour ¼ cup of pork drippings into a medium saucepan.
- Boil: Add 1 cup of chicken broth to the drippings in the saucepan and bring it to a boil.
- Simmer: Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for 4-5 minutes, or until it reaches your desired flavor. Taste the gravy and season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Whisk in the slurry: In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup of cool water and 3 tablespoons of cornstarch to create a slurry. Slowly whisk the slurry into the gravy until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Enjoy: Serve the gravy immediately while it’s warm.
Angela’s Tips and Recipe Notes
- For an extra boost of flavor, you can use a bouillon base or cubes to make the chicken broth more robust.
- If you don’t have pork drippings at hand, consider using Better Than Bouillon pork base as a substitute. You can also add a touch of butter to replicate the richness of the drippings.
- To store the gravy, allow it to cool, transfer it to an airtight jar or container, and refrigerate it for up to 4 days. If properly sealed in an airtight container or freezer bag, pork gravy can be frozen for up to 3 months.
- When reheating leftover gravy, simply warm it in a saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat for 10-15 minutes or until it reaches your desired temperature.
FAQs about Pork Gravy
How Can I Make Pork Gravy Without Drippings?
If pork drippings aren’t available, you can use Better Than Bouillon pork base as a substitute. This concentrated flavoring option provides the same intensity as pork drippings and then some!
Can I Make Pork Gravy Without Flour?
Absolutely! Instead of using flour, this recipe utilizes cornstarch. However, if cornstarch doesn’t suit your preferences, there are several easy substitutes you can try.
What Dishes Pair Well With Pork Gravy?
While a pork shoulder roast slathered in gravy is a personal favorite, you can pair pork gravy with any of your beloved pork recipes. It beautifully complements roasted rack of pork, pork steaks, and many more mouthwatering options.
Explore Delicious Pork Recipes
Looking for more pork-inspired culinary adventures? Try these delectable recipes:
- Instant Pot Pulled Pork: Effortless and mouthwatering, enjoy a delectable pulled pork sandwich.
- Roasted Rack of Pork: An elegant dish that impresses both visually and in taste.
- Asian Roasted Pork Belly: Savor the sweet and sticky goodness of this tender pork belly.
- BBQ Baked Pork Spareribs: Finger-licking goodness that will leave you craving more.
- Air Fryer Thick Cut Pork Chops: Perfectly cooked thick-cut pork chops made easy with an air fryer.
- Air Fryer Shake & Bake Pork Chops: The classic crispy coating of Shake & Bake is a hit with kids and adults alike!
Here’s a recap of the recipe for your convenience:
Now that you have the key to crafting delectable pork gravy, it’s time to elevate your pork dishes to new heights. With this homemade recipe, you’ll impress your family and friends with the irresistible flavors and velvety texture of your pork gravy. Enjoy the delightful experience of savoring this homemade culinary masterpiece at Hook’d Up Bar and Grill.