Shaved Pork Roast Sandwiches are a mouthwatering delight, seared on the stovetop and then roasted in the oven with crispy and caramelized onions. The thin shaved pork roast is piled on toasty hoagie buns slathered with garlic honey butter. Not only are these sandwiches incredibly tasty, but they also make great leftovers!
We all love a good sandwich night, and these Shaved Pork Roast Sandwiches are the perfect addition to your rotation. They can feed a large family or be repurposed throughout the week for delicious leftovers.
Cooking shaved pork is a breeze with simple ingredients and minimal prep time. Your oven does most of the work. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Boneless Pork Loin Roast: A lean and juicy cut of meat, perfect for shaving thin. Make sure to choose a center cut pork loin roast.
- Seasonings: Salt, pepper, and brown sugar for a delicious and subtle flavor.
- Onion: A humble onion that caramelizes in the oven, providing a burst of flavor.
- Hoagie Buns: A sturdy bun to hold this hearty sandwich. Hoagie buns or even a baguette will work well.
- Garlic Honey Butter: A quick compound butter that takes these sandwiches to the next level. It can be used during toasting and melted over the pork roast.
For the complete list of ingredients and quantities, refer to the recipe card.
How to Cook Shaved Pork Roast
Step 1 – Preheat the oven and a cast iron skillet. It’s essential to have a hot skillet before adding the pork for a good sear. Season the pork on all sides with salt, pepper, and brown sugar. Slice the onion.
Step 2 – Start by searing the pork loin roast in a hot cast iron skillet. Make sure to sear all sides, including the ends, for a nice golden color. Be careful not to let the brown sugar burn.
Step 3 – Once the pork is seared, add the raw onion slices around the pork and season them with a pinch of salt. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook for about 40 to 50 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 145°F.
Step 4 – Halfway through cooking, flip the meat and give the onions a toss. If the onions start to burn before the pork is fully cooked, you can remove them and continue cooking the pork.
Step 5 – In a small bowl, mix and mash all the ingredients for the garlic honey butter. Slice the hoagie buns open and spread the flavored butter on the inside. Toast them in the oven for a few minutes, just before assembling the sandwiches.
Step 6 – Once the pork is done, remove it from the oven and let it rest in the skillet for 10 minutes. This allows the juices to redistribute and the meat to cool slightly before slicing. You can add the remaining garlic honey butter to the hot roast to melt over the top.
Step 7 – Thinly shave the pork on a cutting board using a sharp knife or serrated bread knife. Try to slice it as thin as possible, so the slices almost fall apart. Assemble your sandwiches on the toasted hoagies with the shaved pork and crispy caramelized onions.
Leftover Shaved Pork Ideas
Store leftover shaved pork sandwiches in the fridge for the next day. They can be enjoyed cold or reheated. If you have leftover shaved pork that isn’t assembled in a sandwich, it can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
Shaved pork sandwiches provide excellent leftovers for various creative meals. Here are a few ideas:
- Make paninis with melty cheese.
- Add barbecue sauce to make a different flavor of sandwiches or deli wraps.
- Transform it into taco night or chop it over sheet pan nachos.
- Use it for BBQ flatbread pizzas.
- Fill potstickers or include it in an Asian stir fry.
- Try it on rice bowls with black beans, corn, roasted broccoli, sunflower seeds, feta cheese, red onion, and a drizzle of slightly watered-down pesto.
Be creative and experiment with different dishes to enjoy the versatility of leftover shaved pork!
- Choose a boneless pork loin roast for this recipe, as it’s lean and easy to slice. Avoid using pork shoulder or pork butt, as they require longer cooking times.
- When searing the pork, make sure not to burn the brown sugar. If you smell it burning, flip the roast.
- Use a thermometer to ensure the pork reaches an internal temperature of 145°F, avoiding overcooking and drying out the meat.
- Utilize the honey garlic butter twice: once for toasting the buns and again to melt over the hot roast. Save any extra butter by freezing it for future use.
- Keep in mind that a 2-pound or slightly larger pork loin roast can yield a generous amount of shaved pork. It can easily make 4 to 6 sandwiches and provide enough for multiple meals.
What to Serve With Shaved Pork
Shaved Pork Sandwiches can be enjoyed as a main course with a variety of simple side dishes, such as broccoli salad, veggies and Parmesan herb dip, Parmesan kale chips, grilled veggies with yogurt sauce, green bean salad with tomato and feta, kale apple slaw, and lemon orzo pasta salad.
Alternatively, you can enjoy the shaved pork without the sandwiches and pair it with dishes like cheesy honey skillet cornbread with zucchini and peppers, easy 8-minute mac & cheese, baked sweet potato slices, bacon cauliflower mac & cheese, charred corn on the cob, and sweet potato corn chowder.
More Favorite Recipes!
If you loved this recipe, let us know how you liked it by leaving a star rating or a comment below. For more delicious recipes, be sure to follow Sungrown Kitchen on Pinterest, Instagram, and Facebook. Subscribe here to receive new recipes straight to your inbox!
To ensure food safety, follow these guidelines:
- Cook pork to a minimum temperature of 145°F.
- Use separate tongs for the finished pork roast to avoid cross-contamination.
- Wash your hands after touching raw meat.
- Pre-measure your seasonings to avoid cross-contamination.
- Do not leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.