Are you looking for a delicious and hassle-free recipe? Look no further! This slow cooker braised steak and onions recipe is here to save the day. Imagine coming home to the aroma of tender rump steak, cooked to perfection in a rich red pepper and sweet onion gravy. It’s the ultimate comfort food for those cold winter nights!
Why You’ll Fall in Love with This Recipe
- Minimum effort, maximum flavor.
- Perfect for first-time cooks.
- A satisfying and warming dish.
- Low in fat, making it ideal for weight loss diets.
- Customizable with different vegetables.
- Slow cooking makes the meat incredibly tender and flavorful.
- A hearty and filling meal for the whole family.
The Secret Ingredient Notes
Before diving into the recipe, let’s talk about the key ingredients that make this dish extraordinary:
- Frylight: This low-calorie cooking oil spray adds a touch of flavor. However, you can use butter, olive oil, or any other oil of your choice.
- Rump steaks: Tough and readily available, rump steak is perfect for slow cooking. Alternatively, you can use brisket, chuck steak, or chuck roast for a pot roast beef.
- Onions: They add a caramelized taste and a sweet and savory flavor to the luscious onion gravy.
- Red pepper: For a Mediterranean twist, the red pepper enhances the dish with its natural sweetness. If you prefer a classic savory taste, you can use carrots instead.
- Garlic cloves: These little gems add depth to the dish. Feel free to adjust the quantity based on your taste preferences.
- Beef stock: You can use beef broth, water with beef stock cubes or stock powder, or even experiment with beef OXO cubes or other flavorful options.
- Porridge oats: These play a crucial role in thickening the gravy slowly. They are high in fiber and perfect for a low-fat diet. If you don’t have oats, you can coat the steak with all-purpose flour before frying.
- Tomato puree: It adds a smooth sweetness and depth to the beef and onion stew.
- Mustard sauce: Dijon mustard is the go-to choice, but you can experiment with other types for added warmth. If you’re feeling adventurous, stir in some cheddar cheese for a Philly cheesesteak twist.
- Herbs and spices: Thyme, bay leaves, salt, and black pepper add an extra layer of flavor. If you’re feeling creative, make your own bouquet garni for a herbier taste.
- Worcestershire sauce: This ingredient adds a touch of sweet acidity. If you prefer a gluten-free option, you can use balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar.
How to Cook Slow Cooker Braised Steak and Onions
Now that you’re familiar with the ingredients, let’s get cooking! Here’s how to make this mouthwatering dish in your slow cooker:
- Prepare your ingredients and preheat your slow cooker.
- In a frying pan, sear the rump steaks until browned. Set them aside.
- In the same pan, sauté the onions and red pepper until they soften.
- Add the garlic cloves and stir for a minute to release their flavor.
- Transfer the onions, red pepper, and garlic to the slow cooker.
- In a separate bowl, mix the beef stock, porridge oats, tomato puree, mustard sauce, herbs, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Pour the mixture over the onions and pepper in the slow cooker.
- Add the seared rump steaks to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours, or until the steak is tender.
- Serve the braised steak and onions with creamy mashed potatoes or your favorite side dishes.
Customizing and Serving Suggestions
You can easily customize this recipe to suit your preferences:
- For a spicy kick, add some red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper and a drizzle of sesame seed oil.
- If you’re a cheese lover, stir in some grated mature cheddar or cream cheese for a decadent twist.
- To make it extra special, use 1 cup of beer or reduced red wine for a rich beer-braised steak.
- If you’re serving this dish to kids, add more vegetables like mushrooms, carrots, and potatoes to ensure they get their daily dose of nutrients.
- Pair this delicious meal with creamy mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, crusty bread, Yorkshire puddings, dumplings, or even a cheesy pasta bake.
Storage and Reheating
If you have leftovers, you can store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Alternatively, you can freeze the dish in a freezer-safe container for up to 3 months. When you’re ready to enjoy it again, simply defrost in the fridge (if necessary) and reheat it until piping hot, either in the microwave, on the stove, or in the oven.
Now that you have the ultimate slow cooker braised steak and onions recipe, it’s time to gather your ingredients and get cooking. Follow the simple steps, and in no time, you’ll be enjoying a mouthwatering, tender, and flavorful meal. For more slow cooker and beef recipes like this, visit Hook’d Up Bar and Grill.
Note: The original article contained various images, but they have been omitted in this Markdown version.