Looking for a quick and delicious appetizer or snack? Look no further! In this article, we’ll show you how to make crispy frozen spring rolls in an air fryer. It’s a simple and hassle-free method that the whole family will love. Plus, it takes less than 10 minutes to whip up, with minimal clean-up required!
Spring Rolls vs. Egg Rolls
Before we dive into the recipe, let’s clarify the difference between spring rolls and egg rolls. Spring rolls have a thin wrapper made of rice paper or flour and can be served fresh, baked, or fried. On the other hand, egg rolls have a doughy wrapper that may or may not contain egg, and they are usually fried.
Why Choose Air Fryer?
Air frying frozen spring rolls offers several benefits that you’ll surely appreciate:
- Less oil: Unlike deep frying, air frying requires much less oil, saving you both money and calories. The spring rolls turn out perfectly crisp without being greasy.
- Easy clean-up: With no messy oil splatters, cleaning up after air frying is a breeze. Simply clean the air fryer basket or tray, and you’re good to go.
- Crispy perfection: The air fryer method ensures that your spring rolls come out beautifully crispy and browned, adding a delightful crunch to every bite.
- Time-saving: Air frying frozen spring rolls takes only about 7-8 minutes, making it faster than traditional oven baking. Preheating is also quick, taking less time than preheating an oven.
- Delicious and versatile: Spring rolls are loved by many and make a tasty treat for any occasion, be it an after-school snack, potluck, or quick game day appetizer.
To make frozen spring rolls in an air fryer, you’ll need the following:
- Small frozen spring rolls or mini egg rolls
- Cooking oil spray
- Spring roll dipping sauce (such as sweet chili sauce, keto peanut sauce, sweet and sour sauce, soy sauce, Chinese hot mustard, or duck sauce)
Note: For best results, use cocktail-size spring rolls or mini egg rolls. Avoid large, thick egg rolls, as they may require longer cooking times.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400°F (200°C) for 5 minutes.
- Carefully arrange the frozen spring rolls in a single layer on the air fryer tray or basket. This allows them to crisp up evenly.
- Give the spring rolls a light mist of cooking oil spray. If you’re using an air fryer oven, place the tray in the top rack position (closest to the heating element).
Cooking Time and Temperature
- Air fry the frozen spring rolls for a total of 7-8 minutes. Flip them over halfway through cooking time and mist with more oil if needed.
- After cooking, use a meat thermometer to ensure that the spring rolls have reached a minimum safe temperature of 165°F (74°C). Adjust the cooking time accordingly, especially if the spring rolls contain meat or poultry filling.
Reheating Leftover Spring Rolls
To reheat spring rolls that you’ve already cooked, follow these steps:
- Set your air fryer to 350°F (177°C) and air fry the leftover spring rolls for 3 minutes.
- You don’t need to preheat the air fryer. If you have an air fryer oven, use the top rack position.
Pro tip: It’s best to make spring rolls fresh and only air fry what you plan to eat. However, if you have leftovers, you can store them in a covered container in the fridge for 2-3 days. Note that reheating spring rolls in the microwave will result in loss of crispiness.
Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- Frozen spring rolls from the store are considered ultra-processed and may contain a significant amount of white flour. They are often fried, making them less ideal for weight loss.
- Some frozen spring rolls are high in sodium and fat, so check the nutrition label to ensure they fit your dietary needs.
- Homemade fresh spring rolls are generally a healthier option compared to deep-fried ones. Their vibrant colors and textures are sure to impress. Check out the healthy spring rolls recipe in the recipe card below!
By now, you’re ready to enjoy delicious and crispy frozen spring rolls made in your air fryer. With their irresistible taste and quick preparation time, they’re perfect for any occasion. So grab your favorite brand of frozen spring rolls, and let’s get cooking!
For more mouthwatering recipes and food inspiration, visit Hook’d Up Bar and Grill.