Are you intrigued by the Dr Sebi alkaline diet and its amazing benefits? Look no further, because this article will provide you with a complete understanding of this plant-based eating lifestyle. Developed by the late Dr. Sebi, a renowned self-taught healer, this diet is based on the idea that consuming alkaline-rich foods can prevent and even reverse disease. Dr. Sebi’s notable clients included celebrities like John Travolta and Lisa “Left Eye” Lopes. In this article, we will explore the Dr Sebi alkaline food list and provide a downloadable PDF format. Additionally, we will share some delectable Dr Sebi alkaline recipes and offer tips to help you embark on this transformative journey. So let’s dive into the world of the Dr Sebi diet and uncover its multitude of benefits!
What is an Alkaline Diet?
While many people associate diets with weight loss, the alkaline diet goes beyond that. This unique eating approach focuses on balancing the body’s pH levels to promote optimal health. The theory behind this diet is that when our bodies become too acidic, it creates an environment where diseases and illnesses can flourish. By consuming alkalizing foods and beverages, we can restore balance and encourage healing. The Dr. Sebi Diet encompasses his version of the alkaline diet.
The Significance of Alkalizing the Body
When our bodies are in an acidic state, it leads to inflammation and an increased risk of disease. Alkalizing the body helps shift its chemistry from acidic to alkaline. Maintaining an alkaline environment offers numerous and diverse benefits. These include improved digestion, reduced inflammation and pain, increased energy levels, weight loss, detoxification, and a strengthened immune system. Furthermore, an alkaline diet can assist in preventing and reversing chronic conditions such as cancer, heart disease, and stroke.
What Can You Eat on the Dr Sebi Diet?
The Dr. Sebi Diet revolves around consuming a whole, alkaline plant-based diet devoid of processed foods. This includes fruits, vegetables, grains, legumes, nuts, and seeds. The goal is to consume foods that are as close to their natural state as possible, avoiding packaged, canned, or frozen items. Additionally, animal products such as dairy, meat, poultry, fish, and eggs should be avoided. Let’s delve into the Dr Sebi approved food list, which consists of alkaline plant-based foods meticulously compiled by Dr. Sebi after years of research.
- Bananas (the smallest or the Burro/mid-size)
- Berries (all varieties except cranberries)
- Grapes (seeded)
- Limes (preferably key limes with seeds)
- Melons (seeded)
- Orange (preferably Seville or sour)
- Prickly Pear (Cactus Fruit)
- Raisins (seeded)
- Soft Jelly Coconuts (and coconut oil)
- Wild Rice
Alkaline Herbal Teas
- Red Raspberry
- Flor de Manita
- Gordo Lobo
Alkaline Nuts and Seeds
- Brazil Nuts
- Hemp Seeds
- Raw Sesame Seeds
- Raw Sesame “Tahini” Butter
(Dr Sebi recommended using oils minimally)
- Avocado Oil
- Coconut Oil (do not cook)
- Grapeseed Oil
- Hempseed Oil
- Olive Oil (do not cook)
- Sesame Oil
Alkaline Spices and Seasonings
- Onion Powder
- Powdered Granulated Seaweed (Kelp/Dulce/Nori)
- Pure Sea Salt
- Sage Savory
- Sweet Basil
- Pure Agave Syrup (from cactus)
- Date Sugar
- Amaranth Greens
- Wild Arugula
- Bell Peppers
- Chayote (Mexican Squash)
- Dandelion Greens
- Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)
- Izote (Cactus Flower/Cactus Leaf)
- Lettuce (all except Iceberg)
- Mushrooms (all except Shitake)
- Nopales (Mexican Cactus)
- Purslane (Verdolaga)
- Sea Vegetables (wakame/dulse/arame/hijiki/nori)
- Tomato (cherry and plum only)
- Turnip Greens
Dr Sebi Diet Dos and Don’ts
Now that we have a comprehensive list of foods allowed on the diet, there are a few guidelines to keep in mind:
Things You Should Do
- Stay well-hydrated by drinking plenty of natural spring water. Dr. Sebi recommended consuming a gallon per day. Spring water is naturally alkaline and aids in flushing toxins from the body while keeping cells hydrated.
- Incorporate alkaline medicinal herbs into your diet, such as sea moss, burdock root, and kalawalla. These herbs assist in detoxification and cleansing, allowing the body to better absorb and utilize the nutrients from alkaline foods, ultimately kickstarting the natural healing process. Check out my post “Alkaline Herbs List: 45 Dr Sebi Herbs & Their Uses” for a complete list of Dr Sebi approved herbs.
- Strictly follow the nutritional guide, limiting your food choices to those listed on the Dr. Sebi Food list.
- Read ingredient lists carefully to ensure you do not consume any unapproved foods.
- Stick to the natural growing grains recommended on the food list, avoiding mass-produced GMO grains like rice and corn.
- Prioritize sleep between the hours of 10 pm and 2 am, as Dr. Sebi referred to these hours as the “healing hours.”
Things You Should Avoid Doing
- Minimize the use of microwaves, as they lower the nutrient quality of food.
- Refrain from consuming canned or seedless fruits.
- Avoid animal products, including fish, meat, poultry, dairy, and honey.
- Steer clear of GMO foods, artificial sweeteners, brown/white sugar, and alcohol.
How to Get Started on the Dr Sebi Diet
Transitioning from a typical Western diet to an alkaline one can be quite challenging, especially when starting something new. Proper preparation is crucial for success. If you’re looking to embark on the Dr. Sebi Alkaline Diet, follow these eight steps to ease into the process:
1. Assess Your Current Diet
Before starting any diet, it’s important to assess the foods and beverages you currently consume. Create a food journal to become aware of the alkaline-unfriendly items you regularly eat. This step will help prepare your mind for the upcoming changes.
2. Determine Your Motivation
To succeed in any endeavor, it’s essential to have a strong reason behind your actions. Simply wanting to adopt the diet is not enough to sustain you when doubts and cravings arise. Reflect on your true motivations for pursuing this diet. Is it weight loss, complete detoxification, or something else? Make sure your motivation is compelling enough to keep you consistently engaged.
3. Establish a Transition Timeline
Set a realistic timeline for transitioning from your current diet to the alkaline one. Consider factors such as the budget required for new plant-based foods, the time needed to learn new recipes, and the additional time required for meal preparation.
4. Clean Out Your Pantry
When you’re ready to start your alkaline diet journey, begin by clearing out non-alkaline items from your pantry and refrigerator, including tempting acidic snacks and cookies. If you live with family members who are not interested in the alkaline lifestyle, have a discussion with them first. Afterwards, replace the discarded food with items from the Dr Sebi food list. This may require some effort, as certain items may not be readily available. Research West Indian food markets and specialty plant-based food stores to find what works best for you.
5. Learn Exciting New Recipes
Once your pantry is stocked with wholesome alkaline foods, it’s time to learn how to prepare these ingredients. Numerous YouTube channels and blogs offer alkaline recipes. Familiarize yourself with a few of them to find the ones that suit your taste. You can also explore some recipes on Dr Sebi’s website.
6. Use the Dr Sebi Food List as Your Guide
Though Dr Sebi encouraged consuming only the foods on his list, it might not be feasible for everyone. Some foods on the list might not be compatible with your body. Monitor your intake of new foods and take note of any adverse reactions. If certain foods do not work well for you, try substituting them with other alkaline options available on the market.
7. Keep Alkaline Snacks On Hand
If you’re accustomed to snacking on cookies, cakes, and sweets, you may experience cravings during the transition to an alkaline diet. To prevent these cravings from derailing your commitment, keep a selection of alkaline snacks readily available. There are several alkaline dessert options you can try.
8. Incorporate Complementary Holistic Practices
For optimal results, incorporate holistic practices into your daily routine. Engage in daily meditation, practice positive affirmations, and establish an exercise regime. These practices will ensure your mind, body, and spirit are in the right state to achieve the best possible results.
Sample Dr. Sebi Alkaline Diet Meal Plan
Planning and preparing meals can be one of the most challenging aspects when starting a new diet. To give you a head start, here’s a sample meal plan for one day, including breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner, to help you get acclimated:
Dr Sebi Alkaline Breakfast: Kamut Raisin Pancakes
- 2 cups of Kamut flour
- 1 cup of maple crystals
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 tsp of sea moss powder
- 1 1/2 cups of almond milk
- 1/4 cup of raisins
- Combine Kamut flour and sea moss powder in a bowl.
- Add raisins, vanilla extract, and maple crystals.
- Stir in almond milk.
- Pour the mixture into a heated pan and cook evenly on both sides.
Lunch: Vegetable Salad and Hot Veggie Wrap
Vegetable Salad Ingredients:
- 1/2 lb. fresh string beans (remove ends and snap in half)
- 1/2 bunch romaine lettuce, torn
- 1/2 bunch watercress, torn
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. dill
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Sweet basil to taste
- Place olive oil in a bowl.
- Add dill, cumin, basil, and lime juice.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for 1.5 hours.
- Mix thoroughly with lettuce, watercress, and cilantro.
Hot Veggie Wrap Ingredients:
- 3 cups diced tomatoes
- 2 cups onion
- 1 cup diced bell peppers
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 Spelt Tortilla
- Stir-fry all vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Warm the Spelt tortilla.
- Combine the cooked vegetables with the tortilla.
Dr Sebi Alkaline Dinner: Pasta Salad
- 2 boxes of spelt penne
- 2 avocados, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of chopped onions
- 1/4 cup of almond milk
- 1/4 cup of fresh lime juice
- 3 tbs of maple syrup
- 4 tsp of sea salt
- 3-4 dashes of cilantro
- 1/2 cup of olive oil
- Cook the pasta as directed on the package.
- Combine the cooked pasta with the other ingredients in a large bowl.
- Toss until evenly distributed.
Does the Dr Sebi Diet Work?
While there is no scientific evidence to support the claims of the Dr Sebi diet, there are numerous positive testimonials from followers. Many claim various health benefits, including weight loss, improved energy levels, better digestion, clearer skin, boosted immune system, improved mental clarity, and an overall sense of well-being. The Dr Sebi diet aligns with the recommendations of nutritionists, herbalists, and doctors who advocate for similar diets focused on whole, unprocessed foods. As Hippocrates, the father of medicine, said, “Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food.” However, it’s important to note that this diet may not be suitable for everyone due to its restrictive nature and limited protein options. Consult your doctor before starting any new diet to ensure it is suitable for you.
The Dr Sebi diet offers a manageable yet restrictive approach to eating that can lead to weight loss and improved overall health. If you’re seeking an alternative to mainstream diets or curious about the benefits of plant-based eating, the Dr Sebi Diet could be a great option for you. Remember to start gradually, particularly if you’re not accustomed to consuming a wide variety of fruits and vegetables. Stay well-hydrated and, as with any new diet plan, consult a medical professional before beginning. Have you tried the Dr Sebi Alkaline Diet? We’d love to hear about your experience!