Looking for a comforting and delicious meal option that’s perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner? Look no further than this unapologetically old-fashioned creamed salmon recipe. Whether served over toast, rice, or hot egg noodles, this creamy salmon sauce is sure to satisfy. In this article, we’ll explore the basic version of this classic dish and provide some exciting ideas for variations.
Cream of Salmon Recipe
Before we dive into the details, let’s take a quick look at the ingredients and equipment you’ll need to whip up this delicious cream of salmon recipe. With simple ingredients and easy-to-find equipment, this recipe is both budget-friendly and convenient.
- All-purpose flour
- Dried mustard
- Granulated onion
- Salt and pepper
- Canned salmon
- Frozen peas
- Lemon juice
- Fresh dill weed (or dried dill weed)
- Toast, crusty bread, egg noodles, rice, or cauliflower rice for serving
- Optional: Green onions or fresh chives for garnish
While fresh or frozen salmon is fantastic, this recipe takes advantage of the convenience and affordability of canned salmon. With options to suit every budget, canned salmon is a great choice for this dish. Plus, it’s incredibly versatile, allowing you to experiment with different flavors.
If you’re feeling adventurous, you can even substitute canned tuna for a delightful twist. And don’t worry if you’re not a fan of peas; you can easily swap them out for other greens like raw baby spinach, cooked asparagus tips, or green beans. Feel free to get creative and make this recipe your own!
Cream Sauce Salmon Recipe
Now let’s talk about the creamy element of this dish. While you might expect a heavy cream-based sauce, we’re keeping it a little lighter by using whole milk instead. This ensures a satisfying yet balanced flavor.
If you’re a fan of cheese, you can sprinkle some grated parmesan on top of the creamy sauce when serving. It’s a divisive choice in our household, but luckily, you can customize each serving according to individual preferences.
Serving Suggestions and Equipment
This creamed salmon recipe is incredibly versatile when it comes to serving options. I personally love it over whole grain toast, but it’s equally delightful over crusty bread, hot egg noodles, or rice. For a healthier twist, you can even spoon it over cauliflower rice.
As for equipment, you won’t need anything fancy. Just grab your measuring spoons and cups, a 2-quart saucepan or stainless steel everyday pan, and a whisk. This recipe can be easily prepared on a stove top or induction cooktop.
Now, let’s get cooking! Follow these easy steps to make the creamed salmon:
- In a saucepan or large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Stir in the flour and dry mustard powder until the mixture is smooth.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until it becomes bubbly. Whisk in the granulated onion.
- Gradually add the milk, whisking continuously. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook until thickened (approximately 1-2 minutes).
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir in the lemon juice, salmon (along with its juices), salt, pepper, and dill. Cook until heated through (about 5 minutes).
- Serve the creamy salmon sauce over your choice of toast, noodles, crusty bread, or rice. For an added touch, garnish with sliced green onions or fresh chives.
Indulge in the comforting and delicious flavors of creamed salmon with this easy-to-follow recipe. Whether you’re planning a cozy breakfast, a satisfying lunch, or a hearty dinner, this classic dish is sure to impress.
For more mouthwatering recipes and to learn more about Hook’d Up Bar and Grill, visit Hook’d Up Bar and Grill.
So go ahead, gather your ingredients, and get ready to enjoy a delightful meal that’s both budget-friendly and full of flavor. Bon appétit!