Can you air fry corn dogs? The answer is a resounding “yes!” In this article, we’ll show you how to make homemade corn dogs in the air fryer. Not only is it easier than you might think, but it also allows you to enjoy the same delicious flavor as the corn dogs you find at the carnival or state fair. The best part? These air fryer corn dogs are healthier because they are not deep-fried.
When you make air fryer corn dogs from scratch, you reap several nutritional benefits. Let’s take a look:
- Portion control: The hot dogs on skewers automatically come in portion-controlled sizes, making them great for mindful eating.
- No added sugar: Unlike store-bought corn dogs, this recipe doesn’t require any additional sugar since the natural milk sugar is enough to make the cornmeal dough rise.
- Made with whole grains: Instead of using refined grains, like most store-bought corn dogs, this recipe uses 100% whole grains such as spelt flour and whole grain cornmeal.
- Not ultra-processed: Store-bought corn dogs often contain numerous food additives, but this homemade version allows you to enjoy a less processed alternative.
- Kids love them: Get your kids involved in the cooking process and let them create their own corn dog masterpieces. It’s a fun and tasty activity!
- Tasty and nostalgic: Indulging in these homemade corn dogs will instantly transport you back to your childhood with their delicious and nostalgic flavors.
To make these mouthwatering air fryer corn dogs, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Hot dogs (preferably 100% beef with no fillers)
- 2% milk
- Active dry yeast
- Olive oil
- Fine ground cornmeal
- Whole grain spelt flour (or whole wheat flour as a substitute)
- Baking soda
- Beaten egg
- Oil spray
Before you begin, make sure you have an air fryer. Any brand will work, whether it’s a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven or a Ninja Foodi, Philips, Power Air Fryer, Cosori, Nuwave, or Breville. Additionally, gather the following equipment:
- Kitchen thermometer
- Small wooden skewers
- Fast food baskets with paper liners
How to Make Air Fryer Corn Dogs
Now, let’s dive into the step-by-step process of making these delectable corn dogs:
- Start by heating the milk to 110 degrees Fahrenheit in a medium saucepan.
- Gently stir the yeast into the warmed milk and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the olive oil and cornmeal to the milk mixture and stir well.
- Incorporate the spelt flour, salt, baking soda, and paprika into the mixture, stirring until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Knead the dough with clean hands for five minutes, adding a little oil or water to prevent sticking.
- Cover the dough with a clean dish towel and let it rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- While waiting, cut the hot dogs in half widthwise and insert a wooden skewer into each one.
- Divide the risen dough into 14 pieces and roll each piece into a thin 12-inch-long rope.
- Wrap each rope of dough around one of the hot dog halves, ensuring it covers the frankfurter completely.
- Spritz your air fryer trays or basket with cooking oil spray.
- Arrange the uncooked corn dogs in a non-touching single layer on the trays or in the basket.
- Brush each corn dog with beaten egg.
- Cook the corn dogs in the air fryer at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for a total of 12 minutes using two trays, or 8-10 minutes using one tray.
- Allow the corn dogs to cool for 3-5 minutes before serving.
Wondering what pairs well with these mouthwatering air fryer corn dogs? Here are some side dish ideas:
- Air fryer French fries
- Air fryer sweet potato fries
- Jicama fries in the air fryer
- Air fryer maduros (sweet plantains)
- Air fryer popcorn
Here are a few expert tips to enhance your corn dog making experience:
- Level 3 recipe: Due to the dough’s calorie density, this recipe is classified as level 3 for weight maintenance and active lifestyles.
- Plain hot dogs for weight loss: If you’re looking to lose weight, consider eating plain hot dogs rather than corn dogs. Alternatively, incorporate hot dogs into weight-loss-friendly dishes like soups with sliced hot dogs, kale, seasonings, and potatoes.
- Side salad for a balanced meal: If you want to make corn dogs a more balanced meal, pair them with a large side salad for added fiber and fluid volume.
Making delicious and healthier corn dogs in the air fryer is a breeze with this recipe. With simple ingredients and easy steps, you can enjoy the taste of carnival-style corn dogs from the comfort of your own home. Treat yourself and your loved ones to this delightful snack, and reminisce about simpler times. For more fantastic recipes and inspiration, visit Hook’d Up Bar and Grill.
Note: All recipes on this website are provided as a courtesy. Please consult with a registered dietitian or your physician to determine the dietary pattern that best suits your needs.