Boost Your Veggie Intake with Mini Pepper Nachos
Looking for a healthier alternative to nachos that also increases your vegetable intake? Look no further than mini pepper nachos! Packed with refried beans, ground chicken, and chili spices, these mini pepper nachos offer all the flavors of your favorite snack. Plus, they come with a melty, gooey cheese blanket! Whether you choose to air fry or bake them in the oven, these stuffed mini peppers are a low-calorie and lower-carb alternative to loaded nachos. Now everyone can enjoy this delicious and nutritious treat!
Air Fryer Taco-Stuffed Mini Bell Peppers: A Decadent and Healthy Delight
Incorporating more veggies into your family’s diet can be a challenge. But these air fryer bell pepper nachos make it fun and enjoyable! Let’s face it, most people struggle to meet the daily vegetable recommendations. So why not make the journey towards healthier eating a delicious one? While these air fryer mini peppers may not be “real” nachos, they do satisfy your nacho cravings with their taco fillings stuffed inside sweet mini peppers. And if you’re a die-hard corn chip nacho lover, don’t worry! Check out my air fryer nachos recipe for that classic experience.
The Perfect Combination: Mexican Stuffed Mini Peppers in the Air Fryer
Originally developed as an oven recipe, I soon realized that these Mexican stuffed mini peppers would work perfectly in an air fryer too. And boy, was I right! With the air fryer, you get the best of both worlds: melty, browned cheese and perfectly roasted mini peppers. It has become my new favorite way to cook taco stuffed mini peppers!
Nutrition: Why Choose Mini Peppers and Air Fryer?
Packed with Antioxidant Vitamins and Essential Minerals
This mini peppers air fryer recipe is a nutritional powerhouse. These baby peppers are an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin A, helping you meet your daily needs of these antioxidant vitamins. Additionally, they provide over 700 mg of potassium per serving, along with some iron and calcium. The absorption of iron is enhanced by the presence of vitamin C in the peppers. So, you can enjoy these air fryer pepper nachos knowing they contribute to your overall health!
High in Fiber and Protein, Low in Carbs
If you’re looking to increase your fiber intake, this mini pepper recipe is here to help. Each serving of these air fryer peppers gives you over 11 grams of fiber, helping you meet your daily fiber goals. Plus, with over 35 grams of protein per serving, thanks to the chicken, beans, and cheese, these mini peppers will keep you feeling satisfied until your next meal. And if you’re watching your carb intake, fret not! One serving of these mini bell pepper nachos contains under 25 grams of net carbs. So, you can indulge without guilt!
Crowd-Pleasing and Delicious
Healthy food doesn’t have to be bland or boring. These air fryer stuffed mini peppers are incredibly delicious, satisfying even the pickiest eaters. Packed with flavor, these mini pepper nachos always leave my family eagerly anticipating dinner. After all, a dish can only be truly nutritious if it tastes great, right?
Calories: A Low-Calorie Dinner Idea
Looking for a dinner idea under 500 calories? You’re in luck! You can enjoy a quarter of these air fryer stuffed mini peppers for only 453 calories. These mini bell pepper nachos are not only nutritious but also waistline-friendly.
Ingredients: What You Need for Mini Sweet Peppers Air Fryer Recipe
To make these mini sweet peppers in the air fryer, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Olive oil
- Chopped onion
- Chopped jalapeno pepper
- Lean ground chicken
- Mini bell peppers
- Fat-free refried beans
- Chili powder (taco seasoning can also be used)
- Light Mexican cheese blend (shredded cheese)
- Finely chopped cilantro
I recommend choosing refried beans and salsa without added sugar or oil. Smooth textured salsas work best for easy incorporation into the pepper filling. However, you can use chunky salsa if that’s what you have on hand. Feel free to add your favorite nacho toppings like sour cream, guacamole, salsa, or pickled jalapenos after baking or air frying the mini pepper nachos.
Equipment: Air Fryer or Oven, Skillet, and Pan
You can use either an air fryer or an oven to prepare this recipe. I used a 10-Quart Kalorik Digital Air Fryer Oven for my mini peppers. If you have a different brand of air fryer like Ninja Foodi or Philips, you may need to adjust the cooking times accordingly.
For cooking the chicken, onion, and jalapeno, you’ll need a cast iron skillet. If you prefer oven baking, use a large roasting pan instead.
How to Air Fry Mini Peppers: A Step-by-Step Guide
Let’s get cooking and make these delicious mini peppers in the air fryer!
- Start by preparing all the ingredients. Chop the onion and jalapeno pepper. Cut the tops off the mini sweet peppers, slice them in half lengthwise, and remove the seeds.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno, and ground chicken. Cook for 10-15 minutes, flipping and breaking up the chicken with a spatula.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the refried beans, salsa, chili powder, and salt. Ensure all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Arrange the sliced mini sweet peppers on the air fryer trays or roasting pan, cut sides facing up. Pack them tightly, but make sure they’re in a single layer.
- Stuff each mini pepper half with the chicken and bean mixture, packing it in generously.
- Don’t worry about overstuffing the peppers; these mini pepper nachos are supposed to be a little messy. Add more pepper halves if needed.
- Cover the stuffed mini pepper halves with the shredded cheese. It’s fine to blanket the cheese over the top without fussing over each pepper.
- Air fry the stuffed mini peppers at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 9 minutes. Air fry one tray of peppers at a time on the top rack position, allowing the cheese to melt and brown while the peppers become tender.
- Alternatively, you can broil the mini pepper nachos in the oven on high for 3 minutes to achieve a melty and slightly browned cheese topping.
- After cooling for a few minutes, garnish the peppers with freshly chopped cilantro and serve. Enjoy the satisfying cheese pull as you remove the peppers from the baking tray!
More Mexican Recipes to Satisfy Your Cravings
If you’re in the mood for Mexican food, try out these mouthwatering recipes after enjoying my air fryer mini sweet peppers:
- Pork Shoulder Carnitas Salad
- Huevos Rancheros Savory Oatmeal Breakfast
- Fresh, Homemade Mexican Chorizo Sausage
- Vegan Burrito Bowl with Citrus-Smoked Tofu
- Spicy Beef and Black Bean Taco Salad
Expert Tips from a Dietitian: Support Your Fat Loss Goals
This recipe falls under level 1, meaning it can support your fat loss goals. These protein- and fiber-packed healthy “nachos” are an excellent choice for weight loss. Compared to traditional tortilla chips, these mini sweet pepper nachos contain fewer calories and carbs, with only 21.3 grams of net carbs per serving. Moreover, by skipping the fried chips, you’ll find these air fryer taco stuffed peppers more filling. Give them a try and see for yourself!
It’s worth mentioning that while botanically peppers are fruits, they are classified as vegetables in the MyPlate model. So enjoy these mini peppers guilt-free!
Opt for light shredded cheese to prevent your dish from getting too greasy. Using lean chicken instead of full-fat ground beef or pork further helps reduce the grease. Remember, you can adjust the portion sizes to meet your individual energy needs. Growing teens, young adults, and athletes may require larger portions of these level 1 recipes!
Have questions about air fryer cooking or this recipe in particular? Check out these frequently asked questions:
Other Quick and Healthy Air Fryer Snacks
If you’re looking for more air fryer snack recipes, I’ve got you covered. Try these quick and healthy treats that can be made in an air fryer:
- Air Fryer Potato Skins
- Air Fryer Maduros
- Vegan Oyster Mushroom Jerky (Air Fryer Recipe)
- Air Fryer Popcorn
Don’t forget to subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter to stay up-to-date with the latest and greatest recipes!
Remember that all recipes on this website may or may not be suitable for your specific needs and preferences. Consult a registered dietitian or your physician for personalized dietary advice. The nutrition information provided is an estimate and may vary depending on the brands and ingredients you use. Don’t get too caught up in the numbers on food labels; focus on eating a balanced and enjoyable diet. For more information on the recipe levels, refer to my overnight oats with yogurt post. Now let’s get cooking!
To view the original content, visit the Air Fryer Stuffed Mini Peppers | Mini Pepper Nachos Recipe.