Can you prepare sea bass (also known as branzino) in an air fryer? Absolutely! Cooking sea bass in an air fryer is a breeze! This air fryer sea bass recipe is suitable for those following gluten-free, low-carb, and keto diets. Discover the perfect cooking time for sea bass in an air fryer, as well as various seasonings to enhance the flavor. Whether you have fresh air-fried sea bass fillets or air fryer frozen sea bass, this recipe has got you covered.
Types of Sea Bass
When shopping for sea bass, you may come across different types, such as black sea bass, striped bass, European sea bass (branzino), Chilean sea bass (Patagonian toothfish), and white sea bass.
The Versatility of Sea Bass
Sea bass has a gentle flavor and a moderately firm texture, making it suitable for various cooking methods. You can bake, deep fry, steam, poach, or air fry sea bass. Read on for the best ways to cook sea bass.
Air Fryer Sea Bass Benefits
Why should you consider cooking sea bass in an air fryer? Here are a few advantages of this recipe:
- Low in calories: Sea bass is a lean protein, making it ideal for weight loss goals. With only 110 calories per 4 ounces (112 grams), it’s a satisfying and healthy meal.
- Low in carbs: Sea bass without breading is compatible with gluten-free, low-carb, and keto diets.
- Rich in vitamin D: Sea bass is one of the few natural food sources of vitamin D. A 4-ounce (112-gram) serving provides 30% of the daily value.
- Quick and easy: Air frying sea bass takes only 5-6 minutes, making it a speedy main dish that requires minimal preparation and cooking time.
- Delicious: Air fryer sea bass is a flavorful way to meet your weekly seafood intake. Its mild taste appeals to picky eaters, and it’s suitable for both special occasions and busy weeknight meals.
Air Fryer Sea Bass Ingredients
To make air fryer sea bass, you’ll need:
- Sea bass fillet
- Olive oil
- Minced garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Lemon zest, lemon juice, and parsley (for serving)
- Cooking spray
Please refer to the recipe card at the bottom of this post for specific ingredient quantities.
Seasoning for Sea Bass
There are numerous ways to season sea bass. Consider these ideas:
- Blackened seasoning (Cajun spice)
- Ginger paste
- Lemon pepper
- Soy sauce
- Maple syrup
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian seasoning
- Chili powder for a dry rub
- Butter sauce as a finishing touch
Keep in mind that substantial changes to the recipe may affect the air fryer cooking time. Added sugars, such as honey, can alter the way the fish cooks.
How to Make Sea Bass in an Air Fryer
Here’s a step-by-step guide to air frying sea bass:
- Spray your air fryer basket or tray with cooking spray.
- Place the sea bass fillet, skin side down, on the tray.
- Brush olive oil over the sea bass and sprinkle it with minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
- If you have an air fryer oven, position the tray in the top rack position (closest to the heating element).
Sea Bass Air Fryer Time and Temperature
Wondering how long to air fry sea bass and what temperature to set? Air fry sea bass for a total of 5-6 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius). There’s no need to preheat the air fryer or flip the fish. Check the fish frequently toward the end of cooking, as white fish tends to overcook easily, especially in an air fryer. To ensure the sea bass is fully cooked, use a meat thermometer to check that it reaches an internal temperature of 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius). Add more cooking time if necessary. Once it’s done, sprinkle the air-fried sea bass with lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and chopped Italian parsley. Enjoy!
Frozen Sea Bass in an Air Fryer
If you have frozen sea bass and need to thaw it quickly, you can air fry it. Here’s how:
- Place the unseasoned frozen sea bass fillet on an air fryer tray.
- Air fry for 3 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius) to defrost the fish.
- Treat the defrosted fish as fresh sea bass by brushing it with oil and seasoning it.
- Air fry for an additional 5-6 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit (200 degrees Celsius).
Internal Temperature for Sea Bass
The minimum safe internal temperature for sea bass is 145 degrees Fahrenheit (63 degrees Celsius). Fully cooked sea bass is opaque and easily flakes with a fork.
Other Cooking Methods for Sea Bass
Apart from air frying, you can cook sea bass using other methods:
- Oven directions: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (218 degrees Celsius). Place the sea bass, skin side down, in an oiled baking dish. Season as desired and bake for 6-10 minutes per inch of thickness (2.54 centimeters), or until the fish reaches the safe internal temperature and flakes easily.
- Broiled sea bass: Preheat the broiler. Season the sea bass and place it in a pan 4-5 inches (10-12.7 centimeters) from the heat source. Broil for 8-10 minutes per inch of thickness (2.54 centimeters) until the fish is done.
- Pan-fried sea bass: Heat oil in a skillet on the stovetop to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius). Fry a single layer of sea bass fillets until golden brown and easily flaked. Drain the fish on paper towels before serving.
Reheating Sea Bass
While this recipe is best enjoyed fresh, you can store cooked sea bass in a covered airtight container in the refrigerator for 1-2 days. Reheat leftovers in the air fryer or microwave.
Sea Bass Side Dishes
Wondering what side dishes pair well with sea bass? Consider these options:
- Parmesan broccoli
- Wild rice
- Lemon wedges
- Costco cauliflower rice
- Potatoes from a can
- Frozen green beans in the air fryer
- Air fryer frozen zucchini
One serving of air fryer sea bass (4 ounces or 112 grams) contains approximately 175 calories, 1 gram of net carbs, and 21.2 grams of protein.
Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- Sea bass, being a white fish, is low in calories and fat compared to oily fish like salmon. While it may be lower in omega-3 fatty acids, it can still be part of a healthy diet.
- Certain types of sea bass are more sustainable than others. Consult the Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch List to choose sustainable options.
- Sea bass is a good choice for those looking for low-mercury, heart-healthy fish that aligns with the Mediterranean diet.
- To enhance the flavor, consider adding seasonings. Even a simple squeeze of lemon juice, salt, and pepper can make the fish more enjoyable. Leaving the skin on the fish helps retain moisture and flavor.
For additional information and air fryer recipes featuring fish, feel free to explore the following options:
- Air Fryer Tuna Steak
- Frozen Cod in Air Fryer
- Frozen Salmon in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Tilapia
- Breaded Fish in Air Fryer
Don’t forget to check out our collection of Air Fryer Recipes for more culinary inspiration!
Join our community by subscribing to stay updated with the latest and greatest recipes. You can also follow us on Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube!
Please note that all recipes on this website may or may not be suitable for you based on your medical needs and personal preferences. Consult a registered dietitian or physician to determine the dietary pattern that’s best for you. The nutrition information provided is an estimate and may vary depending on the specific brands and ingredients used. Calorie information on food labels can be inaccurate, so don’t get too caught up in the numbers. For more information on how the recipe levels may support a weight management goal, refer to our overnight oats without sugar post. Let’s get cooking!