Can you cook frozen chicken wings in an air fryer? Absolutely! Follow this recipe to create the most delicious air fryer frozen chicken wings you’ve ever tasted. These healthy and crispy keto Buffalo wings are a breeze to make at home. Trust me, your family will be hooked on these mouthwatering air fryer chicken wings.
The Magic of Air-Fried Buffalo Wings
Traditionally, Buffalo wings are deep-fried to achieve that irresistible crispiness before being coated in a tangy vinegar-based hot sauce mixed with melted butter. However, by air frying chicken wings, you can achieve that same delightful crispiness without the need for deep frying. The result is a lighter and lower-calorie version of one of the best chicken wing flavors around.
And even if you’re not concerned about the health benefits, these keto chicken wings are simply delicious. The combination of crispy chicken wings, peppery Buffalo sauce, and cool dressing creates a layer upon layer of flavor that is truly satisfying.
Keto Buffalo Chicken Wing Nutrition and Benefits
Most people are already convinced of the deliciousness of chicken wings. However, if you need a little more convincing, here are some reasons why you’ll fall in love with these low-carb Buffalo wings:
- These wings are baked, not fried. Using an air fryer to cook frozen raw chicken wings is like using a convection oven. The rapid air circulation helps the skin cook up crispy without the need for deep frying. As a result, these chicken wings contain fewer calories and less added oil than traditional Buffalo wings.
- Buffalo wings are keto-friendly, which is great news for those on a low-carb diet. It’s hard to imagine a diet that eliminates chicken wings entirely, right?
- This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights. It’s an easy and quick dinner idea, and cleanup is a breeze with just the air fryer trays and a small pot for the Buffalo sauce.
- Your family will absolutely love these wings! Crispy chicken wings smothered in hot Buffalo sauce are always a crowd pleaser. So if you’re looking for something tasty and comforting, these air fryer chicken wings are the perfect choice.
Air Fryer Frozen Chicken Wings Ingredients
To make these healthy and delicious air fryer Buffalo chicken wings, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- Frozen bone-in chicken wings (preferably without excess fat or skin)
- Baking powder
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Cooking oil spray of your choice
- Frank’s RedHot Sauce (or your favorite wing sauce)
- Carrot sticks
- Celery sticks
- No sugar added ranch dressing (or bleu cheese dressing)
How to Cook Frozen Chicken Wings in an Air Fryer
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to make crispy and flavorful keto Buffalo wings in your air fryer:
- Thaw the frozen chicken wings in the refrigerator for a day or two. Make sure they are not frozen together, as even cooking requires each wing to be separate.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the baking powder, chili powder, and garlic powder. Sprinkle this mixture over the chicken wings and stir well to ensure even coating.
- Lightly mist your air fryer baking trays with cooking spray. Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer on the trays and mist them with cooking spray.
- If necessary, use both racks of your air fryer or cook the wings in batches if your air fryer is smaller.
- Bake the wings in your air fryer at 250°F for 15 minutes, then switch the position of the racks and increase the temperature to 400°F. Continue baking for another 15 minutes.
- Flip all the chicken wings over, switch the position of the trays once more, and bake for an additional 10 minutes at 400°F until they are crispy and golden.
How to Make Buffalo Wing Sauce (the Easy Way)
While the chicken wings are air frying, melt the butter in a small saucepan on the stovetop. Add the Frank’s RedHot sauce (or your preferred sauce) and stir until well combined. Once the wings are cooked, use tongs to dip each crispy chicken piece into the sauce, making sure they are completely coated. You can pour any leftover sauce over the wings for extra flavor.
Expert Tips from a Dietitian
- This recipe falls under level 2 (transition or weight maintenance) and makes for a moderate-calorie meal when served with dressing and veggies. However, it’s important to note that hot sauce is usually high in sodium, so it may not be suitable for those on a low-sodium diet.
- On the other hand, those on a keto diet may benefit from the increased sodium intake due to electrolyte loss. These keto Buffalo wings can be a great addition to their diet.
- If you’re looking to lose weight, this homemade meal is likely lower in calories compared to restaurant Buffalo wings. While they do contain sodium similar to restaurant wings, they are not deep-fried, and portion control is easier at home.
- Buffets can be tempting, but it’s best to avoid them as they make it difficult to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Restaurant portion sizes tend to be excessive, and buffets can lead to overeating. It’s better to make your own meals at home and enjoy reasonable portions.
The perfect side dishes for Buffalo wings are carrot and celery sticks with creamy dressing. Blue cheese or ranch dressing are popular choices to dip the wings in. You can make your own ranch dressing or opt for a store-bought option like Tessemae’s Creamy Ranch Dressing or Primal Kitchen Ranch.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How many calories are in chicken wings? These Buffalo wings contain approximately 418 calories per serving, with each Buffalo wing having around 70 calories.
- How many carbs are in Buffalo wings? These wings are low-carb and keto-friendly, with only 0.5 grams of net carbs per serving.
- How do you know when air fryer frozen chicken wings are fully cooked? Use a food thermometer to ensure that the wings reach an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Will chicken wings ruin an air fryer? No, cooking chicken wings in an air fryer is perfectly safe and won’t cause any damage.
- Is extra crispy chicken unhealthy? Air frying allows you to achieve extra crispiness without the need for additional oil. However, if you batter the wings or deep-fry them, they can be less healthy options.
Now that you know how to make delicious keto Buffalo wings using your air fryer, it’s time to give this recipe a try. Don’t forget to serve them with carrot and celery sticks and your favorite dressing for the ultimate Buffalo wing experience. Enjoy!