How to Cook Precooked Brats in an Air Fryer
Air frying is a fantastic cooking method, and guess what? You can make brats in an air fryer too! In this article, I’ll show you how to air fry brats in under 10 minutes. Trust me, once you try this recipe, you’ll be making air fried brats all year long!
Why Choose Air Fried Brats?
There are several reasons why you should give air fried brats a try:
- No need for a grill: Enjoy the amazing flavor of brats without the hassle of firing up the grill.
- Convenience at its best: With just one ingredient and a few minutes of your time, you’ll have a delicious meal ready to be enjoyed.
- Fits various diets: Bratwursts that are low carb, keto, gluten-free, and dairy-free are readily available. Everyone can find a brat that suits their dietary needs.
- Lower in calories, not in flavor: Air frying makes your brats leaner without compromising their taste.
- Bursting with flavor: Brats are not just any ordinary sausage; they are bursting with robust flavors and are perfect for trying out different toppings.
What You’ll Need
The beauty of this recipe lies in its simplicity. All you need is:
- Bratwurst Sausage
You don’t even need cooking spray because the fatty brats won’t stick to the air fryer tray or basket. I recommend using pre-cooked gluten-free brats like the Niman Ranch brand, which can be found in the refrigerated meat case.
Cooking Instructions for Air Fryer Brats
Let’s dive into the easy steps of air frying brats:
- Remove the brats from the package and place them on an air fryer tray.
- No need to preheat the air fryer. Simply pop the tray in, and you’re good to go.
If you want to caramelize some onions as a topping, start cooking them first. Thinly slice a sweet onion and heat some olive oil over medium-low heat. Cook the onions for 45-60 minutes until they turn a deep golden-brown color.
Cooking Time and Temperature
Wondering how long to air fry brats? Here’s what you need to do:
- Cook your precooked brats at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 7-10 minutes in the top rack position of your air fryer oven.
- No need to flip the brats; let the air fryer work its magic.
After air frying, check the internal temperature of the brats with a meat thermometer. Precooked brats should reach a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. If they haven’t reached this temperature, air fry them for a little longer.
Allow the brats to rest for 5 minutes before adding your favorite toppings and serving. Enjoy the juicy and flavorful brats!
Have leftovers? No problem! Air fried brats can be refrigerated for 3-4 days. When you want to enjoy them again, simply place them on the top rack of your air fryer oven and reheat at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 3-5 minutes. You can also use leftover brats in other dishes, like a delicious kielbasa salad.
Toppings and Side Dish Ideas
Now, let’s talk about toppings and side dishes! Here are some mouthwatering ideas to elevate your air fried brats:
- Swiss cheese or cheddar cheese
- Pickled jalapenos
- Roasted red peppers
- Banana peppers
- Crumbled bacon
Side Dish Ideas:
- Air fried brats and peppers
- Air fried brats and potatoes
- Potato salad
- Smoked Mac and Cheese
Experiment with these suggestions and find your own perfect combination!
Expert Tips for a Healthier Meal
As a registered dietitian, I encourage you to make smart choices when it comes to your meal. Here are some tips to consider:
- Pair your brats with whole wheat buns or skip the buns altogether for a lower-carb option.
- Load up on non-starchy veggies to add volume and nutrients to your meal.
- Opt for homemade fermented condiments to avoid added sugars found in store-bought versions.
- Don’t forget to tailor the toppings and side dishes to fit your dietary goals and preferences.
Bratwurst sausages are a great source of filling, high-quality protein and essential B vitamins. Embrace the flavor while making choices that align with your health goals.
FAQs and More Air Fryer Sausage Recipes
Still have questions? Check out these FAQs and explore more delicious air fryer sausage recipes:
Make sure to subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter for the latest recipes and updates.
Air fried brats are a fantastic way to enjoy flavorful sausages without the need for a grill. With just a few simple steps, you can have a delicious meal ready in no time. Experiment with different toppings and side dishes to create your perfect bratwurst experience. So, why wait for Oktoberfest? Fire up your air fryer and indulge in some mouthwatering brats all year long!